Conductor's New House - The Fun Begins!

Conductor562

The master bath starts this weekend. I'm tiling the floor and the lower half of the wall. I bought a new Jacuzzi tub for Mrs. Conductor as well, so I'll have to run the wire, install a ground fault breaker, build the surround, and God knows what else. Luckily I have some experienced help. I prepped it a little bit, but I still have to work something out with the supply lines.

post-515-0-46480900-1382499353_thumb.jpg

The previous owner had beer taste and a champaign pocket book. At no place in the house was her eccentricity more evident than in the master bath. This is a 72" vanity and not cheap to replace. Looks like some more stripping in my near future :( I did buy a new top ($600) to replace the 80's style, blue grain, imitation marble, one that existed previously. I must say that it really popped against the hot pink vanity. 

post-515-0-80049600-1382499463_thumb.jpg

Another bad idea that went terribly wrong was the exhaust fan. This was a nice unit  that included heat. Mrs. Vila (previous owner. Name not really Vila) decided to cut the element out of the light and hard wire this rhinestone chandelier in it's place. Replacement cost $150

post-515-0-80282000-1382500195_thumb.jpg

I have some more pics I still need to upload to my laptop. I will try to get them up tomorrow. 

Love the pictures conductor! You are a tiling mad man. I know you don't like doing it but you are good at it. The counter top looks great also. Love how you saved so much. Looks great. Like the m12 multi tool shoot. I use mine all the time. Funny how the vanity is pink. Wtf. And the exhaust fan what were they thinking.

I feel like a lazy mother f'er. It's taking me almost 4 weeks to build a closet. I will post pictures when I'm finished.

Thanks Harold. I've had a lot of help with the tile. My father in-law is a professional builder and has been a tremendous help thus far. As I stated in previous posts, this house was a mess. When the house was on the market after the initial couple that owned it divorced, several people passed on the house because it was very dated in regards to furnishings. When the house was built in 1996 they ran short on money which resulted in the interior being done very cheaply. The people we bought it from screwed it up badly as you can see. To this point I have replaced every light fixture, switch, outlet, and cover in the house. By the time I move it every room will have been completely redone with the exception of baseboard trim and doors. Faucets, door hardware, everything. My total budget for the project will be around $12,000 without a dime of that being labor. I believe I can get my appraisal up near $300,000 for a significant increase. Tomorrow I'll be re-hanging the cabinet doors, sanding poly coat #2, and applying #3. As I said, the master bath will be the focus this weekend and next week I will be grouting until my eyes pop out. I still have 4 rooms left to paint as well.

The outside needs a lot of TLC as well, but with cold weather approaching, it will have to wait for spring.

Weird mine does that also.  I send an email and the pictures look fine.  When someone gets the pictures, they always complain that it's flipped.  The house is coming along and looking nice.

I talked to Apple about the flipping issue. The quick fix is to hold your iPhone with the home button to the right when taking a pic. 

Every once in awhile it's nice to stop and enjoy the view. This pic is from the back porch, but from upstairs you can see a little further. Visibility on a clear day is between 30 and 40 miles.

post-515-0-18499700-1382554616_thumb.jpg

The back of the property is like Grand Central for Deer. One evening I counted 19. They are pretty to look at and add to the charm of the property, well, until they start eating your garden and running out in front of your truck. I've hit 12 in my time driving and Mrs. Conductor hit 2 last year alone. 

post-515-0-43735000-1382554848_thumb.jpg

This came out of the furnace vent into the laundry room. Further inspection revealed that the duct work isn't even hooked up to the room. I won't even speculate as to why. 

post-515-0-16781400-1382554867_thumb.jpg

Conductor Jr. has been a big.........help. It amazes me how dedicated he is to working at 4 years old. He'll follow you step for step if you'll let him, and he gets pissed off if you won't.

post-515-0-57703900-1382554967_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-12616700-1382555060_thumb.jpg

Mrs. Conductor wasn't satisfied with the shoddy brass hinges we took off the cabinets. We both like the oil rubbed bronze finish and will furnish most of the house as such

post-515-0-77337600-1382555080_thumb.jpg

The small tile backsplash for the mud sink had to go too. 

post-515-0-59254100-1382555307_thumb.jpg

You really aren't supposed to back over your well pump. No damage to the Durango, but it required a jack and several cinder blocks to get it off. It the pump had been an inch taller, or the Durango had been an inch shorter, we'd have had some real issues.

post-515-0-28966900-1382556079_thumb.jpg

I need to read this thread with my Ipad I nearly killed my neck with some of the pictures J/K I know you have been dealing with that issue for awhile now. Man is there any way to replicate the oil rubbed look on the old hardware? I just hate to think how much that many hinges are going to cost. Cool getting the kids involved with the work more kids need to know basic home repair skills my aunt was talking about a coworker in her mid 20's and her husband has no idea how to fix a leaky faucet. Good thing you didn't do any damage to the Durango.

About the oil rub bronze, you can buy a spray paint for your old hardware. I have done it with great results. I did handles and pulls, not hinges do it may be a little work. But worth the try.

Do you remember what it's called?

Hope it works well a friend of mine swears by rustolium paint's they are really durable. I don't know how they still make the paint that good though with all of the crazy laws now on VOC's and such. That same friend bought some shermanwilliams paint at like 70 dollars a gallon and said it was garbage it left in brushmarks and the finish came out splotchy.

No worries Harold. I bought 1 can, it looked good, so I had Mrs. Conductor pick up 3 more. I did knob, hinges, latch plate, and pins. We've decided we'll see how it holds up and replace them 1 by 1 as/if needed.

Today was a plumbing and electrical day. We re-located the drain, re-worked the supply lines, and ran a new outlet and breaker all for the Jacuzzi tub. My father in-law framed up the tub surround and put up the hardibacker.

The plumbing wasn't too bad. The electrical was a bitch. I liked to never got the wire fed down the wall through the panel box. 150 ft. Through both attics, low clearance, shot 1 hole through the wall frame and right into the top of the damn stud and had to start over. Took 4 hours to run the wire and hook it up. What a bitch.

Tomorrow we finally start grouting the downstairs. I suspect it will take me and a buddy 2 days. Looked like a sore body in my near future :(