Conductor's New House - The Fun Begins!

Conductor562

I think out of all the Faucet makers Kholer is the king, but man you pay for the name and quality. I have a Glacier Bay bath tub faucet that's been great knock on wood it's ugly as hell but I'm limited on having a old 3 valve faucet and it was quick fix on a leaker. The toilet in my house sucks they put the flange way too high its between a 1/2" and 1/4" inch off the level of the floor I think they did it because they wanted too leave room for the tile guys. The problem is its cast iron and a next to impossible cut so we deal with a rocking toilet. I tried shims and they all end up working out from the movement.

I've heard a lot of people brag on Kholer, but have no experience with the personally. Seems you're somewhat limited when you want Oil Rubbed Bronze, though the selection is better than it used to be.

DR: Cast Iron sucks. Kinda limits what you can do about it without some more serious work. I'd tile it just to eliminate the rocking shitter.

My first house had galvanized drains :(

It was awful. I bought an eel and used it at least once a month. It was a real pain in the ass.

I had to rip out a section of drywall to get to a galvanized pipe in the bathroom. The poor drain pipe was so clogged with crap it looked like a a clogged artery there was just this little hole where water could drain through. I replaced it with pvc took forever to get motivated to patch the drywall afterwards trying to work around a toilet isn't any fun.

She loves it. It's got enough room, without being overly school bus-ish. It has the 3.6 Pentastar. Seems like a nice motor so far.

My mom had an 02 durrango and then another 06, then gas went up and it had a 5.7 v8 averaging 13mpg.....traded for a gas saving tree hugging middle east idiots kia optima....it has been nothing but problems, from the car not wanting to run on all cylinders to the turbo quoting...

Friday and Saturday were productive days. Got the floor and most of the surround tile laid in the master bath, re-hung 3 of the doors, got the 3rd and final coat of poly on the kitchen cabinets, painted some more hardware, made and installed the end cap for the counter top, and made the final drywall patches. Several pics, hope to post tomorrow night.

The last few days have been productive, but again, a lot of little time consuming things that you don't instantly notice. 

A man has got to have priorities, so the toilet went back in right after paint.

post-515-0-51012400-1384286868_thumb.jpg

I then realized that pooping in the dark could be disastrous, so I put in the light fixture. Mrs. Conductor did a fine job on it IMO. Very classy looking.

post-515-0-52025500-1384287036_thumb.jpg

There comes a time in every project where shit just isn't working out and all conventional methods have failed. Such was the case with this drain. I pried the lip up and broke it out with a pair of V jawed Channellocks. No sense in fighting with it forever. 

post-515-0-50267600-1384287132_thumb.jpg

After installing the faucets, I added the bronze drain to match. To my delight, this came with the faucet. Again it was "putty-less" and again, I used putty.

post-515-0-74927100-1384287301_thumb.jpg

When I bought my router a couple years back, I wanted a comprehensive set of router bits. This 36 piece set from Grizzly was just the ticket. It has a nice assortment of profiles to cover most needs. Grizzly offers purple and green bits with purple being the "premium" models. It retails for $149, but I got it on cyber monday for $99. They have many sets available in a variety of sizes and profiles HERE. My set is the H3426 set and I highly recommend it. 

post-515-0-56230700-1384287631_thumb.jpg

Using the 5/8" Roman Ogee pictured above, I made the end caps for my counter tops. It would have been a lot easier to finish them before putting them on, but I wanted to have the ability to putty the nail holes. It just didn't seem like a corner worth cutting.

post-515-0-45197300-1384288717_thumb.jpg

Most corners were simple 45's, but I did have some 22.5's on the island. 

post-515-0-45228700-1384289054_thumb.jpg

You can't tell from the pic, but I did finally get the 3rd and final coat of poly on the cabinet doors. I have to admit that I was pretty skeptical about how these cabinets would turn out when we started stripping them, but they turned out beautifully if I do say so myself. Make no mistake, this was a ton of messy, tedious, time consuming work, to get them perfect, but in hindsight it was worth it. They turned out awesome and have a vintage sort of look about them when you see them up close. Perfect for our taste and a true country kitchen.

post-515-0-78133400-1384289109_thumb.jpg

I didn't think it was possible, but my garage was completely trashed after making the end caps. Complete disaster is the term that comes to mind. I can't wait to get everything in order and actually have a shop again. 

post-515-0-34874200-1384289469_thumb.jpg

Got the trim around the backsplash and the laundry sink re-installed. 

post-515-0-81961800-1384289618_thumb.jpg

Sunday saw the first wave of things being moved in. Wouldn't you know the damn dryer cord is the wrong configuration. Have to pick a new one up this week. 

post-515-0-56037000-1384289691_thumb.jpg

As we get closer to dropping the Jacuzzi into place I started getting less satisfied with how I ran the supply lines. I didn't want to get down to crunch time and have to re-route the hot line, so I went ahead and ran it around the perimeter to be safe. I think it would have cleared before, but I felt like I was half assign it before. 

post-515-0-22731100-1384289820_thumb.jpg

We started the tub surround tile with the bullnose on the outer edge and went from there. My father in-law led the way on this one. 

post-515-0-52184400-1384290081_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-57498800-1384290208_thumb.jpg

Once that was done we moved on to the backsplash. As you can see, we ran 1 piece of bull nose short. Luckily this wasn't clearance tile so it was simply a matter of running back to Lowe's for the 900th time. 

post-515-0-76013300-1384290264_thumb.jpg

For the floor, we started at the surround and worked our way out. Seemed like the best idea. 

post-515-0-50289100-1384290354_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the finished tile (pre-grout). Our original plan was to tile the whole wall up to 3 feet from the floor, but with the time and money involved we settled for this. It's the first time we've "settled" for anything on this project, but I was happy enough with this and anything more seemed un-nessecery. 

post-515-0-16746900-1384290410_thumb.jpg

I also got all the shoe moulding down. Added a nice touch and was a hell of a lot easier than pulling all the base boards. Some people use quarter round, but shoe moulding does the same job for less money and looks more appropriate I think.  

post-515-0-52958400-1384290621_thumb.jpg

Went to hook the trailer up to start moving some things and the damn key broke off in the lock. It was one of those locks you can't get cutters on and I though I may be in deep shit. No worries though, the trusty Milwaukee hammer drill had me back on track in under 5 minutes. Kinda makes me call into question the true security of these things though.

post-515-0-28956300-1384290800_thumb.jpg

That's all the picks up to this point. Should have a few more in the next couple days though.