Makita Plunge Saw Power Issues, Again

Claybird

Hi All, 

I'm new to the forum, but have referenced it, quite a bit. I'm a Production Designer based in Brooklyn, NY and have spent years working on Builds through some wonderful Set Shops. I also, am "Restoring" an old family raised Cape down at the Jersey Shore built in 1892... prettttty much alone. (end intro)

I purchased the Makita plunge saw back in June of 2019, through Amazon. The first day I began to use it, the saw began intermittently losing power while cutting. it was some 5/4 I was splitting for a porch frame, and some 3/4 Birch, so nothing that would put any strain on this thing.

I spoke with a Makita rep, that day, who was dumbfounded and we decided it would be best to have it replaced (through Amazon) and I did. 
I don't use the saw often, maybe a day a month,  if that, but I just brought it out today, to make about 4 small cuts, then crosscut some 3/4"... the same issue, of the saw powering down, mid cut is happening. Actually, 3 times on the cross cut, and I'm incredibly disheartened and frustrated. It's pretty damn dangerous, as well. 

I can describe it as, running, trigger fully pressed, it will act as if I let go of the power switch momentarily, and power will ramp down, blade stop spinning. I keep my finger pressed and once the saw motor power ramps down, it will start up again as if I just pressed the button in, but it's completely disrupting cuts and again, quite dangerous. I have the speed on 6, and this is the 2nd saw that has done this, out of two. 

I'm out of Warranty, which is a complete drag, though, this isn't simply something that is a single item issue. This is two separate saws, one being the replacement, having this intermittent power issue. I spoke with another rep at Makita, that just told sent me the list of Authorized Repair Centers... (middle finger emoji), but when I called, there was a fella that was SUPER, and we talked it over, and I let him know I'd do some more tests with different cords, and direct plugs etc. Well, it failed the test again. I've reached out, but quite honestly, they didn't have any answers the first go around.

Has ANYBODY had something similar, on a NEW Saw? Am I missing something? I am aware that brushes go bad, and am mindful of the cord gauges etc. While I have used every brand of tool and model over the years, I definitely never pulled any apart, or repaired any. I blasted some air into the switches and checked for any buildup, but it's clean. Nothing was binding, and I've been on a flat mdf table when it's occurred.

I had used only Festool TS-55's before purchasing this, and had only heard wonderful things about it, though, I am only having issues with it.

Could there be some kind of safety switch I'm not aware of, some kind of other issue? OR could there be a bad batch of saws from this time frame? I am not confident in the saw and am afraid of causing personal harm to myself if I continue to use it. 

Not ONE carpenter that I've spoken with has had these issues with their saws, so I am looking for some kind of answers. 
I've used it plugged into my Festool dust collector, as well as the house, and both times had issues. 
as I am at a loss.

Thanks for "listening."

C

• 7 months later...

Having the same issue with a Matika plunge saw that is 2 months old,can be in the middle of a cut and the saw powers down as if you have stopped cutting but your finger is still on the trigger. Has happened a number of times and have sent it back to the suppliers repair shop and they can’t find anything wrong with it and have advised until them have a problem with it then they can’t do anything about it. They are returning the saw to me and advised that I take a video of me using the saw when the problem happens again( not sure how safe that is when you are working on your own)

• 2 years later...

Hi. I’m having the same issue as well. I bought mine about 2 years ago and I noticed it some months later. I wasn’t using it so much in the beginning, so didn’t bothered so much. But now I do use it more and it’s very frustrating.

Have you found any solution to the problem?