Problem with side-bar for XPH07Z hammer drill

arshi

I had purchased the XT268T kit last summer which comes with the XPH07Z hammer drill. The drill also comes with a side-bar arm that clamps to the drill for better hold and control for heavy tasks. When i used the side-bar arm on my drill, I am actually unable to then remove the side-bar. Ideally what's supposed to happen is that unscrewing the side-bar should open the clamp up so that it can be removed from the drill. However, when i tried to unscrew my side-bar, it actually unscrewed the handle from the clamp instead of releasing the clamp. Has anyone else encountered this problem ? i'm trying to understand if this is a design flaw in the side-bar or if this is a one-off and i just got a bad side-bar.

Welcome to the forum.

Examining the XPH07Z tool looks like that clamp has probably grabbed tightly onto the tool collar ribs and doesn't want to release.

Why not replace the handle, screwing most of the way into the clamp, then sharply strike the end of the handle w/ a hammer to see if it breaks free? Put a 2x4 scrap between the hammer and the tool to avoid marring the tool.