Dewalt Wall Scanner is getting Horrible Reviews.

DR99

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCT418S1-12-Volt-Li-Ion-Scanner/product-reviews/B00ACF6QTC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I think this product was never ready for prime time. It was supposed to be released months ago and they still haven't been able to get it to work consistently for most people that bought it. Dewalt should have released the 20v Framing Nailer instead of this turd.

All wall scanners are inconsistent. The biggest difference with this one is that it's way more expensive than the others and you would expect it to be more accurate for the price but it isn't. I actually was hoping for this one to be great because I really need one. I don't care what it costs, I'll pay $600+ bare tool if it just works. A couple of jobs will easily pay for this.

It's a pretty complicated piece of equipment I wonder if they announced it way too soon. I mean there has to be issues if it looks like they didn't have a finished product like the one guy said their were wires going all over. I also have the Milwaukee sub scanner and while it isn't perfect it get's confused sometimes on weird framing, but nothing like the Dewalt scanner is having.

Why can't they just give us the option to see the raw radar display image? Instead of having software figuring out what is going on behind the walls? If I could scan a wall and see everything that's going on underneath would be awesome I think Hilti has something like that for cement except its really really expensive.

To use the TSA style scanners I don't know if they would let us consumers have a tool that would use that much radiation.Also I don't know if I would trust the guys on the jobsite about not pointing it at the reproductive area.

We just got the scanner.  It has been hit and miss.  We have a review coming up where we are going to put it against the Bosch, so that will be interesting to see how well they.  Dan is going to make a wall, yes I know those don't go together.  He will put different stuff in the wall and try each scanner to see how it does.

To use the TSA style scanners I don't know if they would let us consumers have a tool that would use that much radiation.Also I don't know if I would trust the guys on the jobsite about not pointing it at the reproductive area.

these scanners got me thinking about a TSA style scanner. I think a portable one might be possible but considering it's danger they would probably regulate who uses it by requiring a permit or license to use. Who knows maybe even require special work wear like special gloves as a minimum.

We just got the scanner.  It has been hit and miss.  We have a review coming up where we are going to put it against the Bosch, so that will be interesting to see how well they.  Dan is going to make a wall, yes I know those don't go together.  He will put different stuff in the wall and try each scanner to see how it does.

If you still have the Milwaukee sub scanner I would be interested to see how I does against them also. The only thing is I think the Milwaukee has less features like than the Bosch or Dewalt scanners it can't differentiate between the different materials like the other 2 scanners.

I don't have the Milwaukee Sub Scanner anymore, we gave that one away.  Would be interested in seeing the three compare.  I think we are doing this test tomorrow.  We just got back from the GIE show, so not sure if we can get it done tomorrow.  We are doing some other tool fights like the jackets, and the 18V Dewalt vs the Milwaukee.

Np, I don't mind the tool fights spread out over time. I just like watching them in the end :) If possible a monthly tool fight would be a nice schedule to try and keep up with. The only problem is tool releases don't work that way all the time.

• 1 month later...

Good deal...I almost bought that one when it came out. Hopefully the next one is a home run.

According to Tool Box Buzz you should scramble around and try to pick up one of the discontinued ones. It was the tool of the year after all :lol:

• Like 1