Makita HR2641 1” AVT Rotary Hammer (with D-Handle) maintenance?

Hierogrammate

Hi, first post here.

I have seen some rotary hammers that come with grease for the occasional maintenance.

Does the Makita HR2641 require maintenance (oiling, etc), apart from cleaning the outer surface after a job? Or is one just supposed to run it until it breaks down and toss it away?

I remember that when I first bough it, It was a pleasant surprise to me  as a newbie home user was the rather sweet smell coming from, I assume, the grease inside the power tool. I can't say I've come across grease that smells like that, but I digress.

I have never found out what kind of grease they used, nor if one is supposed to maintain/grease/clean the insides. After all, there is always the risk of having concrete dust, etc. getting inside through the vents. That can't be good for the life of the tool.

Apologies if this is one of those "stupid questions everyone know about,"  except me 🙂

Refards,

Ed

Welcome to the forum.

My Bosch RH540M SDS-Max Rotary Hammer included a small grease tube for application to the bit shaft when changing bits (according to the manual).

That has been followed throughout usage and the tool operation has remained fine.

The tool case is cleaned, including the vents, after each usage. The tool still looks and operates like new.

Not sure on that Makita, but my speculation is the hammer function would also benefit from periodic lubrication.

• Like 1

The Makita didn't come with a grease tube, but after checking the manual again, it does mention lubricating the bit shaft, but that's it. The "maintenance" section limits itself to saying that "any... maintenance or adjustment should be performed by Makita Authorized or Factory Service Centers." So I guess I'm technically limited only to greasing the bits and probably (?) blowing compressed air through the vents before putting it away (even if the manual doesn't say anything about that).

The machine still works fine, but I wanted to know of ways of extending its life as much as possible. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

• Like 1

My tool is not used near my compressed air, so when I am cleaning the exterior I also clean the vents using a toothbrush.

For certain lube the bit shaft. On my SDS-Max I put a small amount of grease into each clean shaft groove prior to insertion into the tool. Each bit is cleaned when removed so the grease doesn't attract / collect crud, that would then end up in the tool.

Here is the Bosch Hammer Drill 1.615.430.010 Grease. It would probably work on your tool, if the MFG grease cannot be located.

So, using air may do more harm than good then, pushing the dirt forcefully inside INTO the gears and motor (and probably getting stuck on the grease inside), instead of doing any actual cleaning? Makes sense.

Thanks for the link, and for the idea of using a toothbrush to clean the vents. It was one of those "why I didn't think of that" moments.