Need advice on fixing my Mum's clothes dryer

bradleyheathhays

I'm not sure what brand it is, she might've said Hotpoint, but her dryer is a fairly simple design and it's begging to have starting problems.  When it's set to go and the start button is pressed the heating element heats up but the bin doesn't turn.  If you open the door and rotate the bin by hand then apparently that loosens it up enough to start when you press the button again.  If you run a second load of clothes after the first it'll start up ok with just the start button, but if left sitting for much time it requires a hand start.  Once it gets going it runs just fine.

I'm hoping this symptom is enough to diagnose what parts going bad and go in to do the swap.  I don't have any experience working on a clothes dryer but I've changed out electric motors and bad capacitors on other equipment so I figure I should be able to get this done.

77a64f28-d7ae-44d4-8e75-82cdf29c25b7.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks wingless.  Was going to open it up and see what I could figure out but now the thing seems to be working fine.  Mom's used it a lot more often recently so it seems increased use has helped loosen up whatever is causing it.  I'm guessing it'll return to being crank again when the usage goes back to normal.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, yardlypaul56 said:

same thing happened with Tyler the Creator merchandise before almost two month ago. I tried different tricks but didn't work.

There is no way to make it clean in any way. So just waste it, as doing it also wastes my time. Well, this is my first time here, and I'm having fun. It seems like a nice location to be.