Best pressure washer pump

S4M31

I am planning to start a pressure washing business in a couple years, and I have been looking at pressure washers to get. There are a bunch of different pumps, like Cat, Comet, AR, AAA, and General. There is very vague information out there, but it seems that people say Cat pumps are the best, and AAA pumps are bad, but also a lot of people that love their AAA pumps and have many hours on them with no problems. What are good pumps that will last a while based on your experiences? 

1 hour ago, wingless said:

The 4,000 PSI 3.5 GPM Cat 66DX pump in my Northern Tools Honda 13 hp GX pressure washer has been a problem free performer for decades.

I took a look at some of the Northstar and Mi-T-M pressure washers, and it seems like the Northstar and Mi-T-M both have the gx270 and both have a rating of 3600 psi @ 3.0 gpm, while the Simpson and DeWalt pressure washers that have AAA pumps also have gx270s and have ratings of 4000 psi @ 3.5 gpm. The Simpson and DeWalt have seemingly worse AAA pumps, while the Northstar has a great cat pump and the Mi-T-M has a Mi-T-M pump. Are Simpson and DeWalt lying about the rating of pressure? Also, do you think a DeWalt pressure washer with a cat pump and a gx270 would be as good as a Northstar with a cat pump and a gx270?

I have noticed how identical machines with the gx270 and cat pumps are rated way lower than their AAA counterparts. For example, this tool has a gx270 and has a seemingly better cat pump makes 3,200 less cleaning units than this other tool which has the exact same gx270. It also seems like you would need almost 10 horsepower to make 4000 psi @ 3.5 gpm, like this tool says it does with an 8.5 hp Honda. Is Simpson lying about their numbers? Or do the AAA pumps actually make more pressure but just not last as long? I don't care that much about psi either, but the NorthStar unit also has a lower gpm. I could just go with something with the gx390, but it is a much larger engine, and it would be a lot heavier, louder, and harder to carry around and move into a car. I know I sound like a repetitive idiot, but this whole thing is really confusing. Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my dumb question.

• Like 1

WRT to automotive transportation, placing the previously linked pressure washer in the SUV cargo area is a two person job. I can remove it myself.

My 4,000 PSI / 3.5 GPM w/ the previously linked turbo nozzle removes everything from the surface w/ little effort.

The washer is loud, so I point the exhaust in an acceptable direction. The audible noise is bad when standing near the exhaust and is no issue when working in the area.

No idea on the Home Depot tool at half the cost w/ identical specs. IMO there is a reason for the significantly lower cost.

20 minutes ago, wingless said:

WRT to automotive transportation, placing the previously linked pressure washer in the SUV cargo area is a two person job. I can remove it myself.

My 4,000 PSI / 3.5 GPM w/ the previously linked turbo nozzle removes everything from the surface w/ little effort.

Ok, thanks for the transportation info. I might just go for one with a gx390, the only other thing I don't like is that is burns a lot of gas, like a gallon per hour, and they are more expensive, but they seem like the better option here. 

• Like 1

YW. For sure it goes through gasoline. Well worth consuming extra fuel to get the job done. I ensure to have a full fuel jug prior to starting my pressure washer projects.

IMO it is an incremental increase on the two Northern Tool pressure washers for the one w/ more power.

The only issues I experienced are that the transportation wheel tack weld failed attaching the axle hub to the wheel, requiring replacement (I don't weld anymore) and the safety valve deteriorated requiring replacement. The safety valve was operator error. It is a one time valve that opens under temperature or pressure, so now I idle or turn off the engine during a long pause, instead of making bypass heat that cooks that valve.

9 minutes ago, wingless said:

YW. For sure it goes through gasoline. Well worth consuming extra fuel to get the job done. I ensure to have a full fuel jug prior to starting my pressure washer projects.

IMO it is an incremental increase on the two Northern Tool pressure washers for the one w/ more power.

The only issues I experienced are that the transportation wheel tack weld failed attaching the axle hub to the wheel, requiring replacement (I don't weld anymore) and the safety valve deteriorated requiring replacement. The safety valve was operator error. It is a one time valve that opens under temperature or pressure, so now I idle or turn off the engine during a long pause, instead of making bypass heat that cooks that valve.

ok, I will keep that in mind. I don't know whether I want to start with a big northern tool machine or get a better lower level pressure washer than my current one, or just go all the way and get an expensive one. I have seen a lot of YouTubers and guides that say the ones with the AAA pumps are really good and can get a driveway done really quickly, and they don't seem to have problems, but you are right that there must be some reason why they are so much cheaper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How many psi preferences? I want to buy this product for my car shortly, but I haven't found any clear information yet.:) Is it small in thought to buy it? Please save me money!

I'm looking for excuses not to buy it. But on the one hand, I can't stop myself because it will be more useful for you. 

You need to have an object of use. If you want to wash your car, you want something with high gpm to get good foam and quick rinse. Electric pressure washers are fine but don't get much psi or gpm. For your car, you might want to get an entry level gas unit with a good pump and a Honda engine, and then buy higher orifice nozzles so you get lower pressure with a lot more water flow. This will help get better foam and make rinsing quick and easy. A good entry level gas machine with a Honda and a decent pump will run you about 400 USD or 3377.44 Turkish lira (I am assuming you live in turkey based on your bio.) Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1