Drill with Hex Chuck?

jdfnnl

I often find myself wishing my impact driver could switch into a non-imapct mode to accept drill bits with hex shanks for precision drilling. I realize one can find a quick change bit holder for a drill, but this puts the bit that much further from the tool and results in less precision. I also prefer the modest size and weight of an impact for applications where not a lot of power is required. Anything like this exist?

This Milwaukee 48-89-4631 23-Piece Titanium Shockwave Drill Set remains in the toolbox w/ my DeWALT DCF887M2 20V MAX XR 3-Speed Impact Driver. These drill bits are impact rated by the manufacturer.

The impact driver works fine w/ these drill bits.

When I break a bit I just purchase a similar replacement. I have not found that Milwaukee sells identical bits individually, only as a set.

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2021 at 6:33 AM, jdfnnl said:

I often find myself wishing my impact driver could switch into a non-imapct mode to accept drill bits with hex shanks for precision drilling. I realize one can find a quick change bit holder for a drill, but this puts the bit that much further from the tool and results in less precision. I also prefer the modest size and weight of an impact for applications where not a lot of power is required. Anything like this exist?

There are a few models from a few brands for you. 

Makita makes one 18V cordless drill driver which is quite small and short and is sold for a good price. Makita DDF083Z 

DeWALT has two models in 12V platforms, but they are good for very light drilling in wood only and driving screws, One is brushed and new one is brushless. They have also come up with a new model with interchangeable chucks also in 12V platform.

Makita has one in 12V platform as well.

Bosch has one with interchangeable chucks (also a chuck for SDS+ drill bits!) Metabo, Festool and Milwaukee also have one. 

Makita DDF083Z.jpg

• Like 1