Pulled the Trigger... (New Firearms Thread)

fm2176

Before I begin this post, let me state that I'm not trying to start any sort of political debate.  Please keep things civil, while I suspect that many people who visit these forums are gun owners (I know quite a few are current or former military and law enforcement), I understand why some people feel differently.  I'm posting here because, frankly, firearms are tools and responsible gun owners seem to inundate the trades and blue collar society in general.  

Anyway, last month I bought a revolver I'd been wanting for years.  I posted about it in the following thread but decided to create this thread so as not to further hijack the below one.

Today I bought another revolver: https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/taurus-856.  It was admittedly an impulse buy, but having owned a Model 85 in the '90s and a Model 617 in the early 2000's, I knew that Taurus makes good revolver that offer substantial bang for the buck (pun intended).  The 856 is essentially a slightly larger, six-shot version of the five-shot 85, and my next purchases will, as always, be a few boxes of ammo, good holsters, speed loaders, and speed strips.  

I'm nearing 20 years of service as an Army Infantryman.  Like many of my peers I'm a "gun guy", but unlike quite a few, I'm not the "tacticool" sort.  My Beretta 92F was made in 1988 and lacks any sort of rail system or optic, the only semi-auto military-style rifle I have is a Yugoslavian M48/56 SKS, and the most tactical firearm I have is probably the custom Mossberg 590 I bought while Clinton was still in office.  My AR15, FN-FAL, HK91, and MAK-90 are all long gone and I've never owned a short-barreled rifle or suppressor.

Now, I won't list every firearm I still own as most will succumb to floodwaters in the near future, but I've grown to appreciate the simple and time-proven types.  Revolvers, slide-action shotguns, and military bolt-action rifles are simply more fun to me these days.  I'll still carry semi-auto pistols, but usually prefer having a .32 as a backup to a .38 or .357.  Glocks have never appealed to me (a bias I'll probably have to get over if I pursue a career in law enforcement), and my mantra has always been to carry with a round chambered and at least two reloads, whether it's 46 rounds of 9mm for my Beretta, 22 rounds of .32 for the Kel-Tec, or 18 rounds of .44 SPL for the Model 29.

I spent years foregoing the purchase of new guns, spending a lot of money over the past 5+ years on tools instead, but my final months in the Army will be spent rebuilding my collection.  I'll update this thread as I buy from licensed dealers, since the Form 4473s will be kept on file regardless.  There's something about knowing that you have the equipment to defend yourself and loved ones, but equipment is just part of self-defense.  Training, vigilance, and having the social awareness to avoid risky situations are equally important.  

Looks like an awesome gun.  I am stuck in between.  I like the high tech tactical ones but more to go wrong or get in the way.  When it comes down to it, I am on board, simple is the way to go.  I am not going to give it away, but going to get something cool in a couple of months.  Yes, it's more a long barrel and tactical, but cool in my book.  After that, i want to get a Benelli Shotgun.  However you have me looking more into the revolvers.  There is just something about them that is awesome.  I also want an old west rifle.  The Henry's look nice. 

• Like 1

The Henry's do look nice, the PX had a Mare's Leg model when I bought the S&W.  I only own the Henry US Survival (aka AR-7).  I do have a Winchester Model 94 in .45 Colt, and had one in .30-30 before it was stolen.  A Ruger Vaquero and Stoeger Coach Gun round out my Cowboy Action guns if I ever decide to get into that scene.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:05 PM, Eric - TIA said:

Looks like an awesome gun.  I am stuck in between.  I like the high tech tactical ones but more to go wrong or get in the way.  When it comes down to it, I am on board, simple is the way to go.  I am not going to give it away, but going to get something cool in a couple of months.  Yes, it's more a long barrel and tactical, but cool in my book.  After that, i want to get a Benelli Shotgun.  However you have me looking more into the revolvers.  There is just something about them that is awesome.  I also want an old west rifle.  The Henry's look nice. 

The tactical looking firearms are very popular, and when set up properly by a trained and experienced owner, they are very effective at doing what they do.  I'll probably get another AR15 at some point for the same reason so many other veterans do--it's second nature for us to effectively engage a target, reload under stress, and perform immediate action, among other things, with an AR15-style weapon.  After all, we train with them our entire careers and many of us have used them in combat situations overseas.  

A few things I've considered as my tastes in guns have evolved are a) historical significance, b) practicality for self and/or home defense, c) cost/trade value, and d) legal considerations.  For example, most of my rifles are military surplus bolt actions, with designs dating from the late-1800s into the 1940s and hence, historically significant if not exceptionally valuable.  For self and home defense I like having a primary pistol or revolver, backup pistol or revolver, and either my police surplus riot gun or the Coach Gun, along with a few reloads for each.  Nothing fancy, and nothing that will over-penetrate.  If I stumble across a really good deal I buy it, such as my $100 M1911, and if someone is willing to make a trade that is mutually beneficial I strongly consider it.  Finally, I look at what is or may be targeted by politicians and media (recent examples include bump stocks and pistol braces) as well as how a prosecutor may use my choice of firearms against me if I ever need to use one in self-defense or if another firearms-related criminal charge is filed (brandishing, etc.  I've seen how skewed the "justice" system is in brandishing and illegally concealed weapons cases and don't want any part of that.  

When I received my concealed carry permit years ago and began regularly carrying the Para-Ordnance Tac-Four inside-the-waistband, I changed my wardrobe significantly...shorts/pants a size too big, tucked in undershirt, and loose Hawaiian shirt (the pattern helps to camouflage printing) or long coat.  I bought the Model 19 while shopping for a J-Frame snub-nose and found that my frame can easily conceal a 4" barrel K-Frame.  If and when I carry the N-Frame Model 29, I'll have to find a good holster and clothing combination for it.  As for the far more concealable 856, I'm holster shopping this afternoon and may pick up another speed loader and some speed strips.  

Yes, I like the historical part of the weapons also.  I did the same when I have my conceal permit.  I went with a M&P Shield only because the M&P was my first gun and feel comfortable with it.  I wanted to go with an inside waistband also but was to lazy to go shipping and get new cloth.  

Your right on about the justice system and your right about taking all that into consideration.  Always want to be safe in every aspect if it's self defense or doing the right thing so things don't pile up.

• Like 1