Pulled the Trigger... (New Firearms Thread)

fm2176

I think I'll buy the Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot (RDO) tomorrow.  I'll probably order a Streamlight light with green laser in the next few days as well, unless we have one at work, in which case I'll bring it home.  I was thinking of putting both on the Canik but now I'm thinking that the Streamlight should go on the Glock 17 instead.  My Glock isn't an MOS (optic ready), and to be honest I prefer iron sights, so the RDO will be an experiment for the fairly inexpensive Canik.  

Speaking of which, I'll probably impulse buy either the Glock 45 MOS or the Smith & Wesson Equalizer this week.  I guess I'm in the Christmas spirit in a greedy Grinch sort of way.  Buying all the guns now but eventually the kids will get them and probably sell them for pennies on the dollar.

I gave one of the Chiappa Little Badgers I bought last week to my 14-year-old.  She and one or both of her sisters may get some trigger time in the back yard later today.  If so, I might toss in a few centerfire rounds, either shotgun or pistol, as I have a new Winchester shotgun and the PC Carbine to break in.  They'll have fun regardless of the noise level.  The archery target stays up and the BB guns are always available for them to shoot, there's the volleyball net, a tree to use the hatchets and axe on, and a lot of open space, so they have plenty of outdoors activities to partake in.  Obviously, firearms are much more restricted to them and only handled under my supervision, though I usually have 2-3 on or near me at all times.

Glock 45 MOS and Vortex Viper it was today.  I started the form and had everything ready to go by the time I clocked out.  New DeSantis IWB holster, three more boxes of Silvertips, and just got done mounting the red dot optic.

I'm enjoying the new job and realizing that maybe I don't need or even want to put on another uniform full time.  That said, I spoke to the Sheriff a couple of weeks ago when he came to pick up a gun and found out that his office is working to get volunteer reservists into a part-time academy.  East Baton Rouge has a lot of info online, and I fairly certain their academy will be used by my parish and others.  I have no idea what service weapon they issue here, but over the river, EBRSO issues revolvers to Reserve Deputies.  I liked my S&W 19, but since most departments allow volunteers to buy their own, I'll probably carry the G45 with optic or maybe the G17.  If I do go that route, a G26 is on the short list as a backup.   

I went ahead and reversed the mag releases on rhe Glocks just now before field stripping the LCP Max and noting it has a near identical mag release.  So, i  went ahead and reversed it as well.  Ive gotten used to using my middle finger to drop a mag on right handed pistols, but my old primary carry gun, the Beretta 92F, has had the mag release reversed for over twenty years, so with some dry fire drills and a little range time hopefully I burn the reversals into muscle memory.  

Here in all their glory are the new lefty pistols, and a random Seagrams 7 bottle for good measure.  🙈

20221227_144533.thumb.jpg.770bc24d411eaaf116789efe932e9cfd.jpg

• Like 1

Closing out the year with a bang.

Got delayed on the Paratrooper SKS, so I figured I'd experiment and buy another Canik SP9.  Got the "Proceed" on that one, so NICS seems to just randomly delay some things.  It sucks I have to wait until next year to get my SKS, though.

Next year I'll slow down a little.  Maybe 2-3 a month.   Home improvements and more secure storage is priority.

No more guns, but I bought and installed TruGlo TFX Pro fiber optic night sights on the G17 and added a Streamlight TLR-8A laser/flashlight today.  The G45 with the optic may get a light soon, but the G17 is fairly well kitted for home defense now.  I'm thinking of getting a Galco shoulder holster to carry both.  Not for practical concealed carry or anything but because...well it's America and I can (for now).

Though I bought the Security-9 when I got the PC Carbine, I think I'll put the Glock magazine well in it and eventually pick up a few more 33 round mags.  We also got a G26 Gen 4 in used a few days ago which I may look into getting.  

21 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Every time I sign on you have something new, I am jealous but it's awesome.  I really have to get my butt in gear.

Well, I need to slow down on the gun buying and focus on training.  I'm scheduled for 9 hour days but my start time fluctuates between 7am and 1pm and our range closes at 6pm, so I'm going to start identifying a couple of days a week to shoot after work.  

I've boresighted the Streamlight laser and night sights on the G17 but need to dial them in, along with the optic on the G45.  I also need to do some research before choosing an optic for the Canik TP9SFx.  The Canik seems to be very popular, with some calling it a "Glock killer"; a customer was gushing about it a few days ago and is planning to buy the one we currently have.  I recognized his name when asked to pull a gun he ordered...seems he's been buying like I have.  We have a few customers like him, and working in the vault I'm amazed at how after years of getting physically and mentally beat down I'm able to instantly recognize a name and the gun they ordered.  When time permits I don't mind interacting with customers, and more than a few have purchased guns I've recommended.  When customers get impatient or mouthy, though, I have to go back to the vault.  

I try to be proactive, keeping our two computer systems up (one for 4473 forms and the other for tracking what guns we have on hand and have physically disposed of) and when my other duties are accomplished, heading to the gun line for a final check as the customer is checking out.  We have the federally mandated 1st and 2nd check, then a Lead, Manager, or I do one last look at the paperwork before releasing the firearm.  It's redundant, but I've caught quite a few errors, from misspelled names to birth dates or expiration dates being wrong.  For better or worse, we have a new critical error list that makes it even more important to be methodical and thorough in my position, though if I screw up and lose this job I'm still good to go.  

Taurus Model 605 for today.  Five rounds of .357 Magnum.  I miss my S&W Model 19, but it was a K-frame six shot with a 4" barrel.  The 605 is very similar to my first revolver, the Model 85, as well as the 856 I currently own.  The 856 is simply a very slightly larger 85 that has a six round cylinder instead of five rounds.

I still have some jacketed hollowpoints (JHP) but grabbed a box of jacketed soft points (JSP) along with two speedloaders.  I should still have the speedloaders from my older revolvers somewhere, but for now I've got six total--two each for the 605, 856, and S&W Model 29.  

Went to the NRA Range Safety Officer Course today, compliments of my job.  I'm not going to be expected to run the range often, but may have to cover down on occasion if someone has to go on break.  

The facility was nice and the instructor knowledgeable and effective.  I'm already looking at other classes to take, as well as getting various NRA Instructor certifications.  They'll be a good fallback or side gig if I want to get out more.

12 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Yes, that would be cool to have that experience and certificate for range officer.  Heck, even down the road when you retire if you get board or wants a couple of extra bucks, it's something you can always do.

Very true.  I view this as adding to my resume.  The retirement and disability pay the mortgage, utilities, and for food, so my current job is kind of gun and resume enhancing money.  Buy guns, get training and certifications, and maybe continue my formal education.  If I'm still here in 20 years, there's no reason why I can't be a part-time college professor and an occasional firearms instructor.  I plan to build rapport with the local LEO agencies and training facilities, to ensure that I'm at least employable even if I decide to finally take a break from the daily grind. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've resisted the urge to buy any guns recently, but did get an iProtec RM230 light and RM230LSG light with green laser.  Though the G17 was my first pistol with a rail, I've since gotten the G45, the Security-9, and the two Caniks, so I'm accessorizing them to make them a bit better in low light situations.  Next up is a bit of homework for some decent light and optic equipped pistol holsters. I'll have to order online, since my store carries relatively few concealed carry holsters.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, Eric - TIA said:

Are you a fan of Streamlight?  

I own one or two weapons lights that were acquired over my previous career but never mounted, so the TLR-8A is my first real experience with the brand.  I think my flexible light is also a Streamlight.  I've always heard great things and so far I like the TLR-8A on my G17, so I'll probably get one or two more.

Speaking of Glocks, we got a few guns in today, including a G17 Gen 1 and a G47.  The Gen 1 was new to me.  I saw the cardboard outer box and Glock label on the presentation box, then saw that it was a classic model.  Interesting throwback to Glock's origins, but it's a little pricier than the Gen 5.  The G47 may come home with me soon.  Only thing is, I'll probably want to buy a G19 for full interchangeability, which will effectively make my G45 redundant.  You could argue that the G47 itself would make my G17 redundant. Basically, you can put a G47 slide on a G19 frame for a shorter handle and longer barrel, or a G19 slide on the G47 frame and effectively have the G45.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up my early production (1894 by the serial number) Winchester 1892 in .38 Winchester Center Fire (WCF, or .38-40), early Winchester 1897 Riot shotgun (1899 by the serial number, based on markings and condition I think this is an original and extremely rare civilian "trench gun" riot model and not a cut down hunting model as is popular with Cowboy Action shooters), and Inland M1 Carbine (made in late 1942 or early 1943 based in serial number).  I guess that technically I now have two GMCs, as Inland was a division of the company at the time.

The M1 Carbine has a rare Bob Owen stock from the 1960s.  It's black plastic with a telescoping steel stock and unfortunately is missing the left side pistol grip panel.  Even so, at under $350 the gun was a steal.  It appears to be original USGI configuration, so if i invest in an original stock it's worth over $1000.  The Bob Owen stock on it sells for a couple hundred online but I plan to keep it as it is.

All three hold places in history.  The two Winchesters could very well have seen some use in the Old West or in the hands of a law enforcement officer 120+ years ago.  The M1 Carbine with its aftermarket stock appears similar to one I saw in a picture of a Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) radical in the 1970s.  The picture is too grainy to confirm, but it also looks like the same stock on the M1 Carbine used by Patty Hearst (kidnapped by the SLA and considered to be a victim of "Stockholm Syndrome") herself in the infamous bank robbery picture.

Gun nerd mode over.  I need to start buying reloading tools next.  Got a gun vise a few weeks ago and also bought some basic gunsmithing tools.  I'm casually exploring whether or not my veterans' benefits will cover gunsmith and locksmith courses.  I think my days of automotive and material handling equipment repair are behind me.

• 4 weeks later...

GUN TIME!  Okay, maybe not.  I haven't added anything recently due to an upcoming family vacation and the need for gun safes.  Fortunately, my job provides a 50% discount, so a $3200 Liberty-made safe and eventually one or two smaller $800 safes (should be about $2400 total) will be securing the guns while I figure out what to do with my current gun storage.  

Once the gun storage and security is updated I'll be looking at some tool organization and storage.  It's always something...

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the Heritage Barkeep with 2.75" barrel a while back.  It's a nifty little single action .22 that can take Long Rifle or Winchester Magnum Rimfire cylinders.  Being on a bit of a .22 kick, I picked up my Rossi Rio Bravo lever action and a Barkeep Burnt Snake earlier.  The latter will be tucked away somewhere near at hand in case of, you guessed it, a poisonous snake in the yard.  Unfortunately, we ran out of rat shot, but I'll check the ammo backstock daily until we get more.

My rough estimate is that my rimfire collection (almost exclusively .22 Long Rifle) is probably up to about 20 or so guns.  On the flip side, I might have about twelve 9mms and only I know what else.  😉

On 5/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, Eric - TIA said:

Wow, that is nice looking, looks classic.  

The Heritage .22 rimfire revolvers (I think that's all they make, to include a rifle version, it seems) are nice budget guns and have a big following.  You can accessorize them quite a bit, and they come with special offers for leather and nylon holsters as well as magnum cylinders.  The only real competition I can think is the Ruger Wrangler, which retails for about $60 more depending on model.  For scaled down "cowboy gun" lookalikes, the Heritage and the Ruger are both fun little plinkers and have some practical use.  As stated above, I plan to use one or both of my Barkeeps for snake and varmint deterrence.  The 6-1/2" barreled Rough Rider will be used mostly for shooting cans of Bud Light.🙂

If I had to complain about the Barkeep, it'd be that it's too short for an integrated ejector, so they come with a dowel instead.  No problem really, though, as the cylinders are interchangeable.  If I wanted to carry either of my Barkeeps I could keep a couple spare .22 LR cylinders and a .22 Magnum one.  Swapping cylinders is probably the fastest way to reload anyway.  

We have one model as cheap as $109 for the .22 LR and $129 for the two-cylinder version.  Around Black Friday they had a $30 off promo, so they were $79 and $99 respectively.  Needless to say, we had some customers buying a half dozen or more back then.  

Heritage Barkeep™ Boot Custom Wood Burnt Snake