Pulled the Trigger... (New Firearms Thread)

fm2176

On 5/10/2023 at 7:46 AM, Eric - TIA said:

OH wow, that is a sweet looking gun.

It looks good but I'd say is probably best suited for its namesake: snakes.  A coworker had some extra pest control shot shells, so he gave me a box.  I'll check the shelves and back stock later to see if we got more in.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 7:46 AM, Eric - TIA said:

OH wow, that is a sweet looking gun.

Carried it in my overalls chest pocket yesterday, while doing yard work.  My wife showed me a picture of a 4-5' long snake that was on the property a few days ago.  I don't enjoy killing things and have a basic knowledge of poisonous snakes, but am no herpetologist, so the revolver was on me for its namesake, just in case I crossed paths with it and deemed it a threat.

A coworker gave me some .22 Long Rifle varmint shot since we have yet to be restocked.  We did have some .38 Special and .45 ACP shotshells, so I picked up a box of the former.  I'm not sure how well the shotshells will run in my Para Ordnance so I'll stick to revolver calibers.

The other Barkeep I picked up a while back is this one:

image.thumb.png.9690e0cf5534789c601a22d928b204cf.png

• 1 month later...

No new guns...I'm taking a brief hiatus from gun buying to afford the 64-gun Cabelas by Liberty safe.  One of the perks of my job is a 50% discount, so with tax and delivery it should come in under $2k.  In the next year I'll probably add a couple of smaller 33 or 48 gun safes.  I learned from my first gun safe that they are mostly useful as deterrents and for fire protection.  The electronic lock failed, and it took about 15 minutes with a breaker bar, pry bar, and 4lb hammer to get into the approximately 550lb 36-gun safe.

I recently joined both Gun Owners of America and the Firearms Policy Coalition.  I know that some of the TIA Crew probably doesn't see eye-to-eye with me on firearms ownership, especially those from outside of the States, but I'm of the firm opinion that guns in the hands of trained, knowledgeable, and law-abiding Americans are the answer to increasing crime and are key to protecting our loved ones and ourselves.

Anyway, just an update, hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 1

I see eye to eye with you on gun ownership.  I don't always have a lot of feedback when you post hear but only because I am such a novice and need to learn a ton more, but time is tight.  One day I will have the time to get more into guns as it's going to be a passion.  Always happy when you post to this thread.

• Like 1

I started this thread because guns are considered tools by many.  Law enforcement and security guards carry them to protect others, military personnel carry them in defense of our nation, hunters carry them to procure food and for sport, etc.  They're also amazingly precise machines when you get into design and function.  I used to go out of my way to break down M240B and M249 machineguns in order to show young Soldiers how open-bolt systems work, and what happens if the sear is damaged or disengaged (runaway gun).  

My 129-year-old Winchester 1892 and my 121-year-old (IIRC) Mosin-Nagant M1891 are both excellent pieces of design and function for their respective purposes.  The 1892 worked well as a complement to the Colt 1873 and other revolvers during the waning years of the Old West.  Kind of like my Ruger PC Carbine with its Glock magazine well coupled with one of my Glock pistols, interchangeable cartridges (and magazines for semiautomatic arms) between a sidearm and carbine are nice.

Time is tight, and the little knowledge I've gained is from decades of reading about, researching, handling, and of course, owning guns.  If I had to share one regret, it's not shooting more while I was in the Army.  Ammunition gets expensive, and belt-fed machineguns are a little pricey to own or even rent and require regular maintenance.

• 1 month later...

Christmas time!  I got into work this morning and had a price change on a shotgun.  Instead of printing a new tag, I figured I'd just buy it and have it for a few months before gifting it to one of my kids.  I also went ahead and started paperwork on a Walther P22 for my 15-year-old to train with.  Now, I guess I need to get something for my son so he isn't jealous come holiday season.

We'll see if I get a Delay.  It happens at least 50% of the time; not a big deal since I work there, but it's funny that I'm the ATF compliance guy and still get delayed buying firearms.

4 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Agree, much easier buying the shotgun than changing tags, that's awesome.  Crazy that there is a delay for you.  

Got a Proceed pretty quickly.  From what I understand, it's pretty common for veterans who hold or held a security clearance to be hit or miss when it comes to the FBI NICS (background check) system.  

The shotgun is a Stevens 320 and ended up being $167 plus tax.  Made in China, like so many of our power tools are, but it's a name brand and being a pump action, shouldn't be too bad.  I was looking at the same model in 20 gauge for my soon-to-be 25-year-old, and liked the $250 or so price, so getting it for under $200 with tax was a no-brainer.

I did finally bring a few handguns in today, so in a few hours I'll be at the range shooting .38 SPL, .357 MAG, and .44 MAG.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:03 AM, Eric - TIA said:

Pump action is awesome.  I do not know why, but I have to get myself a pump-action shotgun.  Something about them is very cool, just like the old-style lever load for riffles.

Pump guns are reliable and can digest nearly any ammunition suitable for them.  Most home defense 12 gauge guns will come with a 3" chamber that can use those or 2-3/4" shells, while a lot of hunting guns have the option of 3-1/2" chambers for magnum loads packing a bit more power.  Then there's the Aguila 1-3/4" Minishells that have a lot less felt recoil and allow a few more shells in the magazine.

I have a few, from the Mossberg 590A1 to my go-to police surplus Winchester 1200 Riot, the Winchester SXP I bought on a whim earlier this year, and the Winchester 1897 Riot.  They are popular for home defense due to a relative lack of penetration through drywall and other materials combined with stopping power.  Honestly, the 20 gauge with modern ammo may be even more suitable than 12 gauge for most, especially smaller statured people or those who can't handle recoil or who have disabilities.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've nearly won the internet, with 2/5ths of the kids fully on-board with guns and the oldest acknowledging that she could use one in her high-crime apartment complex (she's getting the aforementioned Stevens shotgun for home defense).  My 15-year-old starts shooting with 4-H later this month, and my sister's kid, whom I've temporarily taken custody of, is interested in shooting despite her insisting that he's scared of guns (he's only four and has a lot of growing to do to become a man...wait, am I allowed to say that in 2023?).  

I found that the training facility I took my NRA Range Safety Officer courses at offers a combined training package called the "Sentinel Program" for $1150.  I'm thinking about enrolling myself and the 15-year-old in it before long, as it's self-paced and we can complete it at our leisure.  The NRA Instructor courses and other certifications can come later.

LOL, I hope we can still say that, but probably not for much longer.  That's awesome you have that by you for training.  I know we have some stuff by us.  I am just in a catch 22.  I need to do this with my 15 yr old but finding the time and money is hard, but I need to get my kids out there and be trained.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got another cheap shotgun, a Tristar Cobra in 12 gauge for my son.  It was around $80 out the door, so despite it being a Tristar, I think I got a deal.  Besides, it's a pump gun.  I wouldn't necessarily trust any of the cheaper Turkish semi-autos (Tristar, Citadel, etc.), but so long as it goes through the cycles of function, you can generally force it to feed, chamber, and fire.  I have no idea if the extractor is up to snuff... that could be a problem.  

A couple of weeks ago I was back to work after the previous day's 4-H, where I let my daughter shoot her P22Q.  That worked less than stellar, though I think it was her grip.  We each dumped a mag into the burn pit when we got home, and it worked fine.  Regardless, she shoots the loaner Ruger Mark IIIs great, so I might buy her a Mark IV, or if she takes it serious enough and want to try for the Nationals, a Volquartsen Black Mamba.  I was itching to buy something, then I stumbled across this practical monstrosity in the Vault: Mossberg 464 SPX.

The thing takes some getting used to, but it met one key criteria for me: it's a .30-30.  My Winchester 94 .30-30 was stolen over 11 years ago now, leaving me with only the 94 in .45 Colt.  Since retiring, I've added the aforementioned 1892 and a .22 LR Rossi Rio Bravo lever gun, and I think one of my Dad's old guns is a single shot lever action 12 gauge.  Anyway, I figured that for under $400, I'd give the Mossberg a new home.  To be extra funny, I bought a iProtec RM230LSG.  I've got one of the red versions for other weapon's systems, and like having some illumination.  The laser is an afterthought, but probably not too impractical for a short-range cartridge like the .30-30.

As for "practical monstrosity", this is one of those guns that traditional gun owners quickly look away from in fear of being overtaken by some evil force.  It's a "tactical lever gun", only if you look beyond the AR-style furniture, it makes some sense.  As the above article mentions, it's pretty practical for the modern hunter.  Why risk taking granddad's old pre-'64 Model 94 into the swamps when you can take this plastic furniture and all?  It's relatively inexpensive, seems rugged, and has some good sights and mounting options.  All told, I think it's a decent addition to the safes.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:08 PM, Eric - TIA said:

All I know is that you have one of the best collections I have seen.  I am jelous.

Well, it keeps growing for some reason.  I pulled my transfer records a couple of days ago, and in 15 months of working here, I've bought 21 guns.  Right now, I need to stop buying, pay off a little debt, and then get another vehicle.  But, if something is the right price or unique enough, I'm calling it for myself and doing paperwork ASAP! 😄