Anyone have experience with the new fuel line?

Guest YukonPlumber

Guest YukonPlumber

I'm looking at upgrading my current power tools which are the Dewalt lithium ion 18 volt line. Not having a charge indicator on the batteries is driving me nuts and is basically the only reason why I would be upgrading. Now I've taken a look at the Dewalt 20 V line and they seem okay but the Milwaukee coming it was some great products and all new brushless stuff seems like a great idea. Now with the current fuel tools do they still have the problem as the old Milwaukee xc 18 drill that the chuck would open up when you finish drilling a hole sometimes with hole saw? Also have they fixes the rod that was snapping in the chuck of the fuel drill? Or would you guys go hilti?

Not all of the Dewalt kits have fuel gauges if you get an older kit with 1.5 or 3.0 ah batteries it might not have one. Dewalt for crazy reason didn't include a fuel gauge when the launched the 20v line. I have the 18v Fuel impact, hammerdrill, sawzall , and circular saw and haven't had any issues. The have been great for me so far.

You can't really go wrong with any of the major brands power tools. The only thing as a plumber is Milwaukee has some plumbing specific tools like a pex tool, and propress tool. Dewalt just announced a portable band saw for the 20v line but it has the smallest cut capacity of the 18v-20v bandsaws.

Guest YukonPlumber

Ya that was another reason I was thinking milwaukee for their plumbing tools. I just don't know... hilti is nice and my company gets very good prices. I'm looking at a new circ saw, sawzall, impact driver, grinder, drill/driver! Not sure how hilti sawzall does?

I'm a Milwaukee guy, and as much as I rag on them, Dewalt is a good quality tool as well.

That being said, if I were a Plumber, Electrician, or HVAC guy by trade, it would be Milwaukee all the way. They've really catered to those trades the last few years and I expect that to continue.

I have both the fuel drill/driver and the impact driver. I love them both. Especially for quality. A few of my Carpenters have the "pre-brushless" Millwaukee drills and they are pretty poorly made. After a year, they have really shown their ware. One of them is even done (he took it in for repair)

But the fuel line seems to be back to great form!

I'm dying to get the fuel circ. saw!

Tough call, all three are great brands.  I have more expereince with the Milwaukee and Dewalt.  I do think the Hilti impact is the best on the market, but don't know much about their reciprocating saw.  For concrete, Hilti is top.  Considering your a plumber, Milwaukee is hard to beat.  Again any of the three, they are all nice.

An electrician buddy of mine has hilti 18v tools. If you met the guy you would swear he was a hilti rep with the way he talks about his hilti tools. He would always rag on my dewalt 20v tools that I had at the time. I got to work with his 3 speed drill, impact and recip saw. All the work we did was light duty for the tools so I can't really say how awesome they are other than they were solid and overkill for what we were doing.

Cool tool fact... hilti 18v tools are actually 21.6v