Anyone have experience with the new fuel line?

Guest YukonPlumber

Let me start with saying that I live about 15 minutes away from the DeWalt offices in Towson Md. At one time, they had an outlet and repair center located there and I bought a load of tools from there back in the day. I would pick up recondition 18v drills with 2 battery’s and charger for $50.00. That’s was some time ago and now I want to start replacing my cordless tools. Do I really need new tools?  No, am I scaling back on the size jobs I take on?  Yes, would I like some new tools YES!

From the reviews, form TIA and others I’m really starting to like the Milwaukee line up. I guess my biggest question is it worth going right into the FUEL line or the standard 18V.I know that if I go for the sawzalls and circular saw I will go for the fuel but for the drill driver and impact is it worth going to the fuel line?

@ regopit, there is no separate fuel line and 18v line, they are Both m18 18v. If you want Milwaukee's best, then go straight for the m18 fuel drill and impact.

I know that the only differences is that the fuel line is brushless so I guess my question is the brushless motor worth the extra $100.00 in the drill driver and impact driver?

Let me start with saying that I live about 15 minutes away from the DeWalt offices in Towson Md. At one time, they had an outlet and repair center located there and I bought a load of tools from there back in the day. I would pick up recondition 18v drills with 2 battery’s and charger for $50.00. That’s was some time ago and now I want to start replacing my cordless tools. Do I really need new tools?  No, am I scaling back on the size jobs I take on?  Yes, would I like some new tools YES!

From the reviews, form TIA and others I’m really starting to like the Milwaukee line up. I guess my biggest question is it worth going right into the FUEL line or the standard 18V.I know that if I go for the sawzalls and circular saw I will go for the fuel but for the drill driver and impact is it worth going to the fuel line?

First of all welcome to the forum, second of all i used to be a dewalt guy, they make great tools, but when it comes to technology and thinking outside the box, Milwaukee is the way to go, I made the switch to Milwaukee Power tools and will never look back. Best in class warranty, and very tough and quality tool, you can buy the fuel drill driver from cpo outlet for a very good price, check out my review. Depending on the scale of you jobs, you may want to consider M12 fuel, there hammer drill driver and impact has the power of some 18v tools. I believe we are going to see a big push for more fuel tools this year from Milwaukee, if you want the biggest and baddest pro tools on the block that dont break the bank to much compared to hilt, go Milwaukee, they will treat you well.

I know that the only differences is that the fuel line is brushless so I guess my question is the brushless motor worth the extra $100.00 in the drill driver and impact driver?

only you can answer that question. It's hard to answer for you if we don't know what you will be using the drills and impacts for. Both brushed and brushless models offer excellent run time on xc battery packs but if you need to stay off the charger longer go with the fuel. New brushed impact driver models if you can find them offer very good torque at 1500 in lbs so if only looking at torque then upgrading to the fuel impact isn't worth it much but the fuel impacts have 3 speeds which make them better for precision work. The fuel hammer drill is one of the most powerful 18v hammer drills out there so get it if you also need a drill for heavy duty use other wise the compact m18 drills are good for up to medium duty work.

Not long ago I would've said to absolutely go for the Fuel, but after Milwaukee announced that the will continue the brushed line in addition to the fuel, the answer isn't quite as clear.

If you're using them daily I say it's worth it, but as a DIY tool, even an avid DIY'er, I'm convinced you'll ever realize a major benefit to brushless tools. Are they nicer? Absolutely. Are there advantages to them? Definitely. Are they worth $100 more? It all depends on you. As for the drill, if you run a lot of spade bits, augers, hole saws, etc. then you may realize a benefit. If not, your getting nothing more than added run time. As for the impact, you get added functionality by way of the 3 speed gearbox so I'd be more inclined to say its worth it.

Thanks everyone one for your thoughts and opinions. As I sit here and type this, my wife is reading this over my shoulder mumbling

You of all people worrying, about spending an extra 100 bucks on tools. Are you feeling ok? Are sure you are not sick. Sick in the head maybe?

Then she walked away. I guess there only one thing left to do. It is FUEL all the way

• Like 1

Thanks everyone one for your thoughts and opinions. As I sit here and type this, my wife is reading this over my shoulder mumbling

You of all people worrying, about spending an extra 100 bucks on tools. Are you feeling ok? Are sure you are not sick. Sick in the head maybe?

Then she walked away. I guess there only one thing left to do. It is FUEL all the way

Yep, if it's been cleared by the War Department order it before she changes her mind! :lol:

Good decision, they will treat you well. Let us know when you get them and how they do!

Just make sure you get a kit with the 2.0 or 4.0 ah batteries there are quite a few older kits floating around. That's one thing I don't care for with Milwaukee is they wont change model numbers when they update the battery packs they include with the tool.

Just make sure you get a kit with the 2.0 or 4.0 ah batteries there are quite a few older kits floating around. That's one thing I don't care for with Milwaukee is they wont change model numbers when they update the battery packs they include with the tool.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dr????You are suppose to make an excuse on why they dont change the model numbers hahaha! :lol:

I was all set to order my new FUEL tools and  was told by the wife to hold off to after Christmas to by any tools. What has me worried is the the phone conversation I just had with my daughter.

Hi, Dad I was at home depot and I told the guy working there that I wanted to get you a tool for Christmas.

Ok so what did he say?

Well that’s the problem. He ask me what tools you had and I told him that I know that you have a lot of those yellow ones there, (DeWalt) some of those red ones but I think they have cords on them and I pointed to a bunch of the other colored tools.

So what did he say?

He said I should just buy a gift card.

I just started to laugh and she got mad and told me that I was no help. After I got myself together, I told her talk to your brother. Then she told me she did and he couldn’t stop laughing so she called me. 

Hey regopit, just a little yeah on the Fuel line. I have the M18 Fuel impact or with xc batteries and just got the new M12 Fuel drill driver. Awesome!!!!! I also have the Hitachi 18v Brushless hammer drill. To quote my favorite rock God, "sha-wing"!!!! No man double Sha-wing!!!! I have the M18 Sawzall and am NOT impressed (not the brushless) and the M18 circular saw (not brushless) and LOVE that. I guess what I'm saying is the line is so huge and the platform is the same so you cannot go wrong with Milwaukee (except my M18 Sawzall). My M12 Fuel drill is the first brushless 12v and will review it soon, but my M12 lineup is awesome. Plus the new chargers really make things easy when I'm doing multiple things with multiple tools. Good luck man! May Santa find the right RED tool for you!