Switching to Makita

AZPro

So, I am currently very much on the fence about makita tools right now. I've been doing tons of research and it seems the top contenders when it comes to trade lineups of tools are makita and milwaukee. Dewalt too but I absolutely despise that brand.

I want to go with makita because the company I currently work for us heavily invested in the makita lineup. The ability to borrow a tool from the contractor and have it be compatible with all my stuff makes it very enticing. 

On the other hand, the new XGT lineup has me concerned about investing in a bunch of LXT tools and then watch the XGT lineup put out better versions of the LXT lineup. An example being the 36v LXT circ saw. Makita also seems to be the only manufacturer claiming to be one system when in fact the LXT and XGT lineups are not cross compatible. So either I have 2 different chargers or 1 charger with an adapter. On top of that, I would need at least 4 batteries for each lineup just based on being able to have at least 2 tools running at the same time. What are your thoughts?

In case anyone is interested, I currently use ridgid. I've never had any issues with them but I've come to a point where they just don't have the tools I need for the work I'm doing.

I’m not worried at all about LXT going the wayside. They’re releasing new LXT tools at the same pace they’ve always been. I think their plan really is just what they’ve said from the start…where XGT is geared much more for heavier-duty tasks while LXT still spans the broadest range of applications for most people.

Also remember Makita also carries a number of other platforms across the world and none of them ever threatened to displace LXT either.

• Like 1

Though I am new, I have to say so many I have seen use LXT. When I was switching from greens to building, I started researching what to get and it’s LXT, M18, and brushless DeWalt all day going to registers.

I cant see XGT ever becoming a standard anymore than I can see people picking up Festool.

Makita is a great company with great tool.  The fact that your company also has Makita you can borrow is a huge plus.  Both Milwaukee and Makita a good quality tool and have an extensive line up.  You will not gone wrong with either brand.  In regards to quality, Makita seems to be a little higher quality than Milwaukee.  At least we have seen less people talk about issues with Makita.