Mud mixer?

65refinyellow

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-9-Amp-Corded-1-2-in-Spade-Handle-Mud-Mixer-R7122/100523157

The only corded mud mixer at Home Depot online and in the store is the Ridgid one.

I really can’t see a battery one from any maker being strong enough without burning up.

On battery platforms in my price range, the Makita hammer drill 14 can do light mixing with its 104 foot/pound torque but not sure about the long term aspect of the LXT range for a long lived tool like a hammer drill-light mixer.

Milwaukee makes a similarly strong  hammer drill in this affordable range but it might burn up easily. Milwaukee tried a higher volt battery setup only to ditch it so the M18 line should be fairly long term. 

If I increase mixing duties enough, then no battery mixer can handle the work that any corded tool will do with ease.

Maybe Ridgid mud mixer is it. 

Any experiences? 

If you're already in the LXT or M18 battery platforms both makita and milwaukee offer cordless mixers.  I have no experience with either but I would assume they do better than just a standard hammer drill, the makita is $240 bare tool and the milwaukee is $220 bare tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-2-in-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Mixer-Tool-Only-XTU02Z/310268873

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Mud-Mixer-Tool-Only-2810-20/302677799#overlay

• Like 1

I think if I were a high end home user or pro who very rarely sees mixing duties, I would just use a battery Milwaukee or Makita hammer drill (either next on my list for home and professional uses).

But for my remodeling jobs around the county where I am often alone, I have narrowed it down to an M18 or LXT mud mixer for smaller stuff and full on corded for heavier use.

I can see getting both, but maybe a drum?

Where I can cut the cord, I do so but certain things like my table saw, compound miter saw, jackhammer, and compressor, I use the extra power of corded gear. I like the Makita or Ridgid or Bosch corded mud mixer which I think I can mix mud in a 55 gallon trash can. 

Using a 5 gallon bucket is slow because we had to do it ten times for a tiny tile flooring job (serious lol) where the thin set was hardening mighty fast. Lol.

That was a stressful experience and made us consider a small drum mixer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Marshalltown-3-cu-ft-1-2-HP-Electric-Wheelbarrow-Mixer-MIX3/205699493?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I have often thought about cheaper Black and Decker or Craftsman gear, but in my job I tend towards the standard pro stuff like DeWalt, Makita, Ridgid, and Milwaukee.

At home though, my personal tool stash is the Stanley-Craftsman-Black and Decker faire, and I polish them too, lol, but my predictably thrashed looking work tools are all pro stuff mostly because I can’t afford to break down since I am alone.

I think I may get a corded Ryobi type general purpose mixer for home and seriously consider a pro drum mixer for my remodeling accounts.

Any suggestions then for small pro drum mixer?

• 4 weeks later...

I got the Bosch 9 amp corded mixer.

It seems solid and I don’t want to eat up regular drills. We have been using a hole hawg which we have never used over many homes and it has held up as a mixer. 

The Bosch dedicated mixer drill is better since it is way slower with much more torque 

• Like 1