Dodge is the best truck, hands down

firefighter4187

Sorry Chase but you must be bad luck for Dodge. They announce a recall the day after you get your truck. Good thing it isn't your model year, bad thing is it's a ton of other model years. 12 million is a lot of trucks.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/auto_news/chrysler-announces-recall-of-12-million-ram-trucks

It's nothing personal recalls happen all the time.

I remember when when that body style came out in 93. It really did change how pickup trucks looked everything was super square back then. I think you you suggested a body curve at ford or gm back then they would have stuffed you in a gas tank.

Well you dodge guys are going to kill me but i may be joining Eric and Dan on the ford crew, there a 1997 Ford ext cab long bed f250 7.3 powerstroke diesel, In mint condition, has 200,000 miles which if you know diesels is nothing, i bet this truck could pull a house! This is a heavy duty truck! Has a 5th wheel and gooseneck in the bed, along with i believe a weatherguard toolbox, also has an extra overdrive for when you are going 55+ you can get 27MPG Means i will average 20-23!!!, i have figured out with diesel being more expensive than gas, i will still come out on top with the diesel mpgs. The interior has leather and all the goodies, also is equipped with an f-450 suspension and a pac break. Heres a picture:http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p776/chaserogers911/ScreenShot2013-11-13at50607PM_zpseb5ac991.png

Just remember parts aren't cheap for them. Let us know how it goes

Yeah when something breaks on a diesel, its expensive, but the upside is the maintenance a normal gas car or truck goes through at 100,000 i wont go through till 300,000, but the biggest thing in vehicle maintenance that not many understand is preventative maintenance. One of the cheapest maintenance items on vehicles are oil changes, they are also the most dragged out, passed by, forgotten about to where you are running on fumes, if you pay the small price here and there now, you will not have to pay the big price later.

I had a 99 F-250 Diesel. Great truck, but if you don't need a diesel I suggest you think hard about it. $175 to fill up, forget 27mpg because that ain't happening, $150 for an oil change, 10 ply tires cost big $$, you can't put it in the shop for under $1000 and it's a lot harder to find an Indy diesel shop.

If you don't need it it's hard to justify.

• Like 1

I agree with conductor. My dad has an 81 chevy one ton with a big block and we have pulled 25000 pounds with it. I would be surprised if you get 20 in that ford. My truck has 270000 on the engine and it still runs fine today. I get 15 to 17 mpg in my truck. I honestly don't see any advantage of a diesel truck.

What kind of truck do you have?

I agree with conductor. My dad has an 81 chevy one ton with a big block and we have pulled 25000 pounds with it. I would be surprised if you get 20 in that ford. My truck has 270000 on the engine and it still runs fine today. I get 15 to 17 mpg in my truck. I honestly don't see any advantage of a diesel truck.

I had a 99 F-250 Diesel. Great truck, but if you don't need a diesel I suggest you think hard about it. $175 to fill up, forget 27mpg because that ain't happening, $150 for an oil change, 10 ply tires cost big $$, you can't put it in the shop for under $1000 and it's a lot harder to find an Indy diesel shop.

If you don't need it it's hard to justify.

You have had your share of trucks. A diesel teuck is my dream to have. And i have done some thinking, a gas engone with 180000 miles is high, soon, a rebuild of both the tranny and the top end of the motor is in the near future, vs a diesel, at 200,000 will be good till about 350,000, it all has to do witb preventative maintence which i am a true believer in.

I got around 19 mpg in my 7.3. With a diesel you get f$&ked at the pump. Semi's make up 90% of the diesel market. They jack the price of diesel up the big trucks don't care, they just pass the cost along. It's the guys with the pickups and RV's that take the real beating. When I bought my diesel, gas was $2.25 and diesel was $1.40 something. When I traded it in gas was $3.50 and diesel was $4.85. When I started going over $150 for a tank of fuel I was done.

A diesel will go 3X's the miles of a gas job, but they need maintenance just like everything else and when they do you'd better have some cash. Even basic work is 2-3X's what it is for a gas truck. If you can afford the added expense then go for it, but I just wanted you to know what you're in for.

I got around 19 mpg in my 7.3. With a diesel you get f$&ked at the pump. Semi's make up 90% of the diesel market. They jack the price of diesel up the big trucks don't care, they just pass the cost along. It's the guys with the pickups and RV's that take the real beating. When I bought my diesel, gas was $2.25 and diesel was $1.40 something. When I traded it in gas was $3.50 and diesel was $4.85. When I started going over $150 for a tank of fuel I was done.

A diesel will go 3X's the miles of a gas job, but they need maintenance just like everything else and when they do you'd better have some cash. Even basic work is 2-3X's what it is for a gas truck. If you can afford the added expense then go for it, but I just wanted you to know what you're in for.

Damn! 1.40 for diesel, that had to have been nice! I know what im in for, but between that and tools, thats what i spend my money on, i have a good job with a great boss, which im not afraid to work. Some kids like to spend money on there video games or motocross, my toys are a little more expensive but i plan on keeping this for a very long time, this is going to be my ongoing project haha

Yea, I had a boner for a Diesel truck at one point but reality sets in unless your doing some crazy towing you don't need the added hassle a Diesel motor has they are not built for short trips or stop and go traffic plus like conductor mentioned the fuel isn't cheap anymore and in the usa we pay a premium for diesel motors in Europe its the other way gas engines are the premium power plant. If I won the lotto you can bet I am probably running the the nearest Ford dealership and getting a loaded King Ranch F450 superduty. With the power the new V6 pickups have its more than enough for 95% of the people that use pickups on a daily basis. Unless your towing a skid steer on a gooseneck even contractors are better served with a gasser.

Ford diesel engines are junk, but the trucks are solid. Dodge trucks are junk, but the cummins is the king.

I don't play around when it comes to building trucks. I only drive the best.

small_zps528693f9.jpg

small2_zps9995ae19.jpg

Fummins!! Thats what im talking about, I have made a new best friend! Damn thats a purty truck. I love the 97 and older ford f250 body styles, like you said a ford truck is great,  same thing with a cummins best diesel you can buy. Maybe down the road i will stick a 12v in haha that would be something.

Yea, I had a boner for a Diesel truck at one point but reality sets in unless your doing some crazy towing you don't need the added hassle a Diesel motor has they are not built for short trips or stop and go traffic plus like conductor mentioned the fuel isn't cheap anymore and in the usa we pay a premium for diesel motors in Europe its the other way gas engines are the premium power plant. If I won the lotto you can bet I am probably running the the nearest Ford dealership and getting a loaded King Ranch F450 superduty. With the power the new V6 pickups have its more than enough for 95% of the people that use pickups on a daily basis. Unless your towing a skid steer on a gooseneck even contractors are better served with a gasser.

I think dodge has a winner with the new 3.0 liter diesel dor the 1/2 ton trucks get great fuel economy with plenty of power and torque.

• Like 1

Fummins!! Thats what im talking about, I have made a new best friend! Damn thats a purty truck. I love the 97 and older ford f250 body styles, like you said a ford truck is great,  same thing with a cummins best diesel you can buy. Maybe down the road i will stick a 12v in haha that would be something.

I love cummins trucks. Once you go diesel, you'll never go back to a gasser. Even old 94 to 98 dodges are pretty cool in my book. The ford is my play truck. Here is work truck. 81 cab and chassis GMC with a 95 12 valve conversion. 

2011-12-27_10-57-56_422_Sidney.jpg

IMG_9738_zpse8f54044.jpg