Best power tools for gutters?

I used to work for FlipClean, a gutter company with a proprietary hinge system invented by my then-boss's father.  I looked them up a while ago and they seem to have expanded to a few other states, but they are nowhere near as big as they should be, in my opinion, given the ease of cleaning them out (this coming from a guy that has trees sprouting in his own gutters at the moment).  We cut the hinge pieces from bar stock, drilled and assembled them with roll pins, and used a homemade tumbler to get them ready for paint.  For installation we'd rivet them in place on the gutter and screw them to the fascia, providing the customer an expandable pole with nylon end for flipping the gutter, easing the cleaning process.

Anyway, the cordless power tools we used way back then (mid-'90s) were simple 7.2-8.4v drills with the "heavy hitter" being a 12v hammer drill.  Anything else we had was corded, and we usually had to rely on the customer to provide a power source for us to plug in saws and to keep spare batteries charging.  We didn't really need enough power to justify a generator like most framing and other construction crews did back then.  Nowadays, I'd feel more than well equipped with an impact driver for reinforcing or replacing fascia boards as needed (and for driving screws for the FlipClean hinges), an 18v class hammer drill for drilling holes in mortar for downspout straps, a 6-1/2" circular saw, and [maybe] a pair of cordless metal shears.  We rolled out our own gutters to near-length, and metal snips, a crimper, snap-lock tool, and manual pop rivet gun along with hammers, squares, and tape measures were our mainstays.

If I went back to work for the same company now, I'd probably buy the M12 rivet tool and throw my M18 Fuel rotary hammer in the van along with a basic cordless setup (drill, impact, recip and circ saws) for unforeseen circumstances.  I'd still have my manual tools just in case but would bring enough batteries to avoid imposing on the customer, opting to charge them overnight.

• Like 1