Torque Wrench

firefighter4187

Do you want a clicker type, or and old school beam type? For motor work I'd go clicker, for lugs, general maintenance, etc., a beam type is sufficient. Clicker types are set with a dial and need to be re-calibrated every 100 or so cycles. Beam types have a gauge and you just pull until the needle gets where you need to be. No calibration needed. Beam types are a lot less expensive as well.

For clickers, believe it or not, Harbor Freight torque wrenches are actually pretty accurate. They run sales constantly where you can get them for $10. I'm not a Harbor Freight fan, but torque wrenches can get really expensive and it's hard to justify paying $200 for something you'll use rarely. If you get a clicker, get a metal knurled handle, not plastic.

You can find good ones on eBay for decent money, but I recommend sending anything used off to be calibrated before use.

They real question is what are you using them for? Torquing lugs? Building motors? Once I know that I can help you find something.

Also, always store clicker style torque wrenches with the dial set to zero or it can lose accuracy sitting in the drawer.

Also, as a bit of trivia, Snap-On torque wrenches (as well as others) are made by CDI Torque Products. SO owns CDI.

Does that mean you pay SO money for a CDI wrench, or do you pay CDI money for a SO wrench? Beats me. It's all about perspective.

My comment about the knurled handle is a little misleading. For the occasional user the plastic handle will be fine.

I'd find a coupon online, go to Harbor Freight, and get the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" torque wrenches from Harbor Freight for $10 each. I use them, can't beat them for the price. After 100 uses just get rid of them and buy new ones. I've seen several comparisons where the HF models were as accurate as higher end models. That will cover you up to 150 ft. lbs.

I'd find a coupon online, go to Harbor Freight, and get the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" torque wrenches from Harbor Freight for $10 each. I use them, can't beat them for the price. After 100 uses just get rid of them and buy new ones. I've seen several comparisons where the HF models were as accurate as higher end models. That will cover you up to 150 ft. lbs.

Ok sounds good! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...