Delta table saw unobtainium replacement design input assistance

ldswofford

Hi, while new to this forum, as a member, I have been watching posts from afar.

I recently obtained a new-to-me Delta 34-670 type 1 table saw. While I know this saw is not a top of the line, Unisaw, Jet, etc high end, it will do what I need for my personal projects.

My previous saw was an old 1929 Sears Craftman that I received from an old cabinet maker friend over 40 years ago...which finally game up the ghost and became too inaccurate and expensive to maintain (ie.... arbor was wobbly, fence had issues.... and Sears could provide me a replacement fence... for $1500!!)...

Anyway... the Delta is in decent shape and somewhat complete, but the primary piece that is missing is the Blade Guard Support Rod. The rod for the type 2 is available and somewhat reasonably priced. The rod for the type 1 is No Longer Available (unobtainium).... not from Delta, aftermarket, ebay, craigslist, etc., etc.

While the type1 and type 2 rods are essentially the same design and length, the key difference is that the type1 rod uses a round bar with a flat to be inserted into a corresponding hole on the primary cast saw support and the type 2 uses a square stock end that uses a pin to hold it into a stirrup in the primary cast saw support. (ie typical square block won't go into a round hole).

I guess I could get a type 2 part and get it machined to where it might fit, but there are other parts of the blade guard that are also unobtainium. 

I have the complete blade guard, just not all the connecting parts to the saw.

My thought is that I could make a bracket that could be mounted to the rear rail that the fence clamps to in the back and then use a screw/wing nut to secure the blade guard in place (ensuring that the mounting point leaves the blade guard/riving knife) in the correctly aligned position for the saw. My initial thought for the bracket is to adapt a Simpson hurricane tie, using a piece of plate on top and an electrical conduit one-hole clamp to hold it in place and then a 10-32 machine screw/wing nut/washer setup to secure the blade guard to the made up bracket.

So...now the questions:

1. Does anyone see errors/issues (especially danger points) of what I am thinking about?

2. Should this be strong enough to hold everything in place, especially should a kick-back occur?

3. Does anyone else have another potential option, other than spending mega-bucks and buying/adapting a new after-market blade guard?

Thanks

Larry