Roof leakage Problems

reednoah702

Hello Guyz,

I am facing problems with roof leakage for the last 3 months. So, I want to know about all types of roof leakage solutions like common causes of roof leaks, where is the roof leaking from, and how to fix them.

If anybody has an idea about this then contribute your solutions here.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

The proper installation of a new roofing system will have overlapped joints and flashing that all work together to prevent long term leaks.

The identification / repair of existing leaks requires investigation to locate failed or improperly installed components.

My house had a long term very intermittent leak issue where the final roofing contractor said rip off / replace the entire roof was the only solution to fix a leak at one spot, but that answer was not sufficient for me. I excavated all the roofing tar from the problematic spot until I reached the problem, that was caused by someone dumping a tube of silicone sealant during the initial installation under all the roofing material. Nothing was sticking to the silicone and it wasn't sticking to anything. All that silicone was dug out and replaced w/ roofing tar and it has been leak free for many years.

Why not provide info / photos that permit others to assist w/ the specific problem?

6 hours ago, reednoah702 said:

Hello Guyz,

I am facing problems with roof leakage for the last 3 months. So, I want to know about all types of roof leakage solutions like common causes of roof leaks, where is the roof leaking from, and how to fix them.

If anybody has an idea about this then contribute your solutions here.

Thanks!!

I am going to offer you a very Altanic solution :) Make your house with reinforced concrete and go for stainless steel roof and forget about roof repairs and maintenance for at least 100 years. :))

• 11 months later...
On 1/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

The proper installation of a new roofing system will have overlapped joints and flashing that all work together to prevent long term leaks.

The identification / repair of existing leaks requires investigation to locate failed or improperly installed components.

My house had a long term very intermittent leak issue where the final roofing contractor said rip off / replace the entire roof was the only solution to fix a leak at one spot, but that answer was not sufficient for me. I excavated all the roofing tar from the problematic spot until I reached the problem, that was caused by someone dumping a tube of silicone sealant during the initial installation under all the roofing material we hire this company for work northern virginia roofing contractors. Nothing was sticking to the silicone and it wasn't sticking to anything. All that silicone was dug out and replaced w/ roofing tar and it has been leak free for many years.

Why not provide info / photos that permit others to assist w/ the specific problem?

We have done about every possible thing you could do to waterproof our roof and bulkhead. The leaks are about 90% gone. However, everytime there is a heavy rain with a strong wind, a particular leak manifests itself. Our contractor says that he has done everything he can do to waterproof. We really have done everything! What’s left here? Does anyone have any experince with somone who can accurately diagnose a source of a leak? It’s killing me that it’s such a crapshoot. Any recs highly appreciated. We’re in a brick rowhouse, if that matters. Desperately need to relieve myself of this stress

On 12/25/2022 at 2:32 PM, okpermanent said:

We have done about every possible thing you could do to waterproof our roof and bulkhead. The leaks are about 90% gone. However, everytime there is a heavy rain with a strong wind, a particular leak manifests itself. Our contractor says that he has done everything he can do to waterproof. We really have done everything! What’s left here? Does anyone have any experince with somone who can accurately diagnose a source of a leak? It’s killing me that it’s such a crapshoot. Any recs highly appreciated. We’re in a brick rowhouse, if that matters. Desperately need to relieve myself of this stress

Welcome to the forum.

Why not provide annotated images showing the problem?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

My house had a long term very intermittent leak issue where the final roofing contractor said rip off / replace the entire roof was the only solution to fix a leak at one spot, but that answer was not sufficient for me. I excavated all the roofing tar from the problematic spot until I reached the problem, that was caused by someone dumping a tube of silicone sealant during the initial installation under all the roofing material. Nothing was sticking to the silicone and it wasn't sticking to anything from roofing vienna va. All that silicone was dug out and replaced w/ roofing tar and it has been leak free for many years.

Hi, Yesterday we had a flash flood in the factory caused by a sudden downpour and defective drainage by the valley guttering, as this was near to electrical equipment and there was a signifigant amount of water on the floor and adjoining wall I instructed the operators to vacate the vacinity until it was deemed safe for the clean up to begin. This has been reported internaly and an action plan to remedy the situation is being put together. In the mean time I am wondering what duty, if any, can be placed on the landlord to rectify this issue. Is the following section of HASWA relevant: Section 4 Anyone who has, to any extent, control of premises (mainly landlords having control of common areas) must ensure that they are safe, are provided with safe access and egress and that plant or substances provided for use and that any plant or substances provided for use within the premises are safe and without risks to health so far is reasonably practicable Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

51 minutes ago, sawihel said:

Hi, Yesterday we had a flash flood in the factory caused by a sudden downpour and defective drainage by the valley guttering, as this was near to electrical equipment and there was a signifigant amount of water on the floor and adjoining wall I instructed the operators to vacate the vacinity until it was deemed safe for the clean up to begin. This has been reported internaly and an action plan to remedy the situation is being put together. In the mean time I am wondering what duty, if any, can be placed on the landlord to rectify this issue. Is the following section of HASWA relevant: Section 4 Anyone who has, to any extent, control of premises (mainly landlords having control of common areas) must ensure that they are safe, are provided with safe access and egress and that plant or substances provided for use and that any plant or substances provided for use within the premises are safe and without risks to health so far is reasonably practicable Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Your actions were 100% correct!

It is SO EASY to be electrocuted in fresh water. Evacuation of the area until the "tide recedes" or until the power may be safely (and certainly) de-energized is THE ONLY way to ensure that injury or death won't ensue. 

Agree that the landlord MUST correct the roofing defects, but have zero idea on the legal aspects to attain that result.

Usually obtaining a contractor quotation for work is free and w/o obligation. Perhaps a good first step would be to get several repair quotations from local roofers to repair the defect(s) that caused the flooding and use that information as a starting point w/ the landlord.