Super Bowl LVI

fm2176

How many of you watched the game yesterday?  I heard about Odell Beckham, Jr.'s injury and remember him from his days at LSU, and my wife was saying something about the Bengals' quarterback being a bit cocky for a rookie.  After looking him up just now, I found that he too played for LSU.

I shared my my thoughts on professional sports in another thread and won't go further into that at the moment.  The Super Bowl is probably one of the biggest events of the year here in the US, with the Halftime Show and commercials attracting even non-fans.  People gather en masse at bars and houses for parties, and I'm not sure if other countries have something equivalent (please share it if you know of anything).  For obvious reasons, last year's event was a bit lower key, though I believe the 2020 game predated the pandemic lockdowns.  

Yesterday's Halftime Show seemed promising.  While I'm a fan of Eminem, Dr. Dre, and Snoop Dogg's earlier music, I opted instead to binge Cynical Historian videos on the history of California, did a little cleaning, and made a big pot of chili.  I did read about Eminem taking a knee on stage.  As I stated in the other thread, athletes and celebrities politicize things in a manner that drives some Americans away from them, detracting from our ability to simply enjoy the show.

Anyway, hopefully those of you who watched it for the game, Halftime Show, or commercials enjoyed it.  Were your predictions on the outcome accurate, and did your preferred team win?  What's the next big event you're looking forward to?.

I watched it but really didn't care who won.  It's my first game I watched all year because not a fan of the NFL and what they are pushing.  The commercials were awful and maybe saw one good commercial.  

I didn't watch the halftime because it's always a shit show so didn't know he took a knee until you told me.  Again, just another reason I am not a fan of these people and don't want to support their empires.

For me, movies, tv and sports where a way for me to get away and just relax.  Not have to worry about politics, stress etc.  Now that they have put that in the movies, tv shows and sports, its hard for me to watch because it doesn't let me get away and relax anymore.

• Like 1

I agree, entertainment is supposed to be about escapism.  There's always been a degree of hard edged reality in certain programming, but pushing politics, social reforms, and agendas seems to be everywhere now.  Sports should be just that: two teams putting their best players on the field while the coaches strategize how best to win the game.  The NFL and NASCAR are probably the two biggest names when it comes to strategy .  When I watched the NFL I wanted to see how the offensive formations made the defense react, or when that deceptive play was made.  Some people don't understand the appeal of NASCAR, but the term "strategy" is thrown around all of the time, with a blown tire or running out of fuel costing a lot of teams the race in the final lap.  When a sport becomes known for pushing an agenda, or when its players alienate a key fan demographic, it's no longer worth watching.  

I don't generally watch new movies or TV shows.  Honestly, my attention span is a bit short to enjoy them regardless of content, though I can watch an hour-long documentary or lecture online.