909 12V drill/impact In canada as a mastercraft maximum

07Sierra

Quite an article on the 909 on Toolguyd I read a few says ago. The link to the sales site kept going to a site where the owner manufactures is trying to get support / funding for the tool. Looks like a really good tool platform with an interesting transmission.

According to the designer, the 909 drill has a variable speed trigger with a two speed transmission. His article states that his driver has what is called "Intuitive Touch Variable Speed Control". Obviously this is for the 909 which presumably is the drill driver minute the 4ah batteries. Regardless, I just got my 2403-22 Milwaukee 12v with 4ah battery. Woo-Hoo baby!

Ain't that the truth though! Eric, I love that drill. Absolutely awesome. 2-1/4" hole saw through my siding and structure....NO problem. Just used it again this am same charge, still with three bars in the 4.0 battery! I'm not sure if I'll use my hitachi till summer when I start building my fence and garden structures! What a fantastic drill!

• 2 weeks later...

So...I just saw the 909 Drill Driver for sale on Home Depot online.   It has according to the advertisement 1450 RPM's (Max) and a Torque Rating of 282" lbs. 2 4.0ah batteries and a one hour fast charger that will charge the battery to 50% in 25 minutes.  The price?

$199.99 !!!

I would love to try this out but $199.99 is a LOT of money for a 12v drill with less power than my new 12v Fuel! 

If it has two 4.0 batteries I think the price is reasonable for what it is but the hardest selling point would be the current selection of tools on the platform. Better if they offered 1 or 2 compact battery kits at lower price points to get people started

I would agree about the 4.0 but...my M12 came with a 4.0 and a 2.0 and has a higher torque and rpm rating. And the addition of something like 27.3 million different tools in the line. And the drill is cheaper. Now I know the argument can be made about two 4.0 batteries but again, the power is there in the Milwaukee for a lower price. If the price point was in the 130 range initially until the tool system gets established maybe I'd do it then. Honestly I think the tools look pretty sweet and certainly worth a go but not for two bones. In my opinion.

I think they can do well if they have a new tools roadmap for their 12v platform even if for now it's only a basic line up with the most popular tools sort of what makita and dewalt are doing for their 12v platforms they seem to have a "our line up is good enough" approach and it works for them

I'd agree... when and if they expand their line. Regardless, it is underpowered compared to my Milwaukee tools But...this is a very interesting tool line with some very good possibilities and the addition of 4.0 ah. batteries is nice. I always want to try new tools out but for the cash this unfortunately won't be it for a while, at least until the expand the line and drop prices a wee bit. When they do I will really look forward to using the tools. Looking at the speed selector, the two fingered transmission type triggers, the fuel gauge all I can say is "wow, that's wicked cool". Like Milwaukee, the company is trying a "different" approach and that is very exciting to me. Especially when I can use a 12v tool in place of a larger 18v tool which is not always the case but in my most recent project, it was.

For $179 ($20 less than the 909) I can get a Milwaukee Fuel 2403-22 kit with a 4.0XC, a 2.0 compact, 350 in. lbs. of torque, a brushless motor, a 5 year warranty, and the option to expand into the biggest 12V line on the market bar none. 

For $199 I can get a 909 with (I presume) a brushed motor, 282 in. lbs. of torque, 1 4.0 battery, an uncertain warranty, and the option to expand to 1 additional tool. All with an unproven battery platform and trigger system.

Tell me again why I would consider the 909 for more than 2 seconds?

When you're the new kid on the block and your product is unproven and less powerful than the big boys, pricing yourself above them isn't exactly the way to get you're foot in the door.  

• Like 1

The problem is they are from Australia I don't know if the tools are made there so my reasoning could be totally wrong, but GM is closing their factories in Australia because the Aussie dollar is on par with the American dollar at the moment and it's costing a ton of money to do assembly work there. Aussies have the same deal of the bitter war of Ford verses Chevrolet. Except Holden is what the call Chevrolet over there. They are huge fans of RWD V8 cars in Australia and produce some amazing looking Women!