The "Tool Bug" (Cordless Edition)

fm2176

When did the Tool Bug first bite you?  Cheesy term, perhaps, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who started out buying something they needed and then looked at their workbench or in their tool boxes years later to find that they had almost everything imaginable, needed or not, and sometimes in multiple brands or platforms.

I think the philosophy I adopted as a young mechanic evolved to where I am now.  Back then, I had a code where if I needed to borrow a tool three times I'd buy it.  Borrowing tools was usually not a big deal at the dealership, but it was kind of unspoken that if you needed to constantly borrow something you should probably get your own.  This helped me out tremendously when I became a road technician.  It's hard borrowing tools when you're dispatched in a remote location, and there were a couple of trips to Sears to buy something I didn't have (or broke on the jobsite).  Also, having the right tools for the job makes projects or repairs much simpler.  I've used my shared of adjustable wrenches and cheater bars, but having the correct size wrench and an actual breaker bar or impact wrench is much preferred.

When it comes to cordless, the Tool Bug really bit me around 2014-2015.  I had my first Li-Ion cordless tools and was able to find a few great deals to round out the platform.  Around the same time the wife bought a house to flip, located in rural Georgia and in need of extensive electrical work.  Of course, this meant relying solely on cordless tools, and at the time my only batteries were 1.3Ah.  Those tools worked, but by the time the house was sold I was heavily into DeWalt and started to get into Milwaukee and other brands.  Last year she bought another house, and until we replaced the electrical panel we relied on cordless tools, lights, and the DeWalt propane heater.

Now the list of tools I want is small, and the list of tools I need much smaller.  The Tool Bug is expensive to feed but the payoff comes in knowing that almost any repair or renovation can be a DIY job, especially in today's age of internet how-to guides and videos.