Stainless steel is what we should use for kitchen worktop.

Altan

As you can see in these photos the sink is welded to the worktop and I am thinking of having the stainless steel cooker hub welded to the worktop as well. I have seen AEG makes stainless steel cooker hub. So no silicone used around the sink and cooker hub. 

Polish won't remove the scratches.

Sanding (w/ appropriate grit) as an attempt to recreate the original "grain" pattern will have limited success, except in corners where that is not possible to access. The initial "grain" was done by machines, repair / rework will be done by hand. The repair will have slight random angular differences that will be visually evident.

The brand new stainless looks great in pictures though.

1 hour ago, wingless said:

Polish won't remove the scratches.

Sanding (w/ appropriate grit) as an attempt to recreate the original "grain" pattern will have limited success, except in corners where that is not possible to access. The initial "grain" was done by machines, repair / rework will be done by hand. The repair will have slight random angular differences that will be visually evident.

The brand new stainless looks great in pictures though.

Yes, I agree, but I think now they have made some great tools to process stainless steel finishes. But also Granite does get scratches and all other materials. For me the scratches or beauty is not that important, I just don't like maintenance :)))

1 minute ago, wingless said:

Why not just inset the cooktop into a pocket so the top surface is flush, w/ a thin border gap, to permit removing the cooktop for normal service / repair?

I hate gaps and silicone, I love everything to be made of one piece and smooth so no need for maintenance also making it easy to clean.