My recent project

NicholasShetley

I figured I would share the project I am working on(it is my grandpas though). We are hoping to have it done by late April in time for me to drive it to prom. We are about ready to paint it. We are wanting to paint the body flat black and the frame and firewall red. The engine will be a regular chevy 350 with a cam. That should be more than enough power considering it weighs around 2600-2700 pounds. I will try to keep this updated on the progress.

• Like 1

That will turn out great. Not sure how power full a 350 Chevy engine is but it sounds tough. I forgot what the numbers stood for, cubic inches? Horsepower? Either way it will make a high power to weight ratio because that truck is light. My car is considered light at about 2800-3000 lbs.

There are so many different variations of the 350 who knows what they make. It will probably be around 350-375 horsepower which will be plenty for it. We are hoping to paint it next week. We are sanding it with 400 grit paper to smooth it out.

It has been fun. He fixed the rust already. It has some new sheet metal on the doors and the bottom of the cab. We saw another one with the red frame and firewall and that made us choose it. Also the bed has been made 10 inches shorter and the cab has been chopped some.

I took all sorts of welding and metal working classes in High School plus computer classes. I was a huge gamer nerd even back then.The class that's probably saved me the most money out of all of them is one semester of small engine repair its fucking crazy how much they want for a basic service on a lawnmower or snow blower its over 100 bucks just to clean the carb replace the sparkplug and lube a few things.

I am as well. I took all of the ag classes as well. I took the tractor restoration one and the ag structures (we would build round bale feeders and troughs). I have improved on my welding skills a lot. The teacher said I am a better welder than him on a mig welder. One of the hardest welding methods to get used to is tig welding. The one we use has a foot pedal to control the amount of heat.

I am but it is still a good ways off. I still needs the firewall and frame painted, the interior, engine and transmission, and the front and rear end need work done on both but that won't take too long, and we still need to put the tonneau cover on the bed. My dad and I are going to rebuild the engine and transmission (turbo 400, for those who don't know what that is it is a gm 3 speed auto used in their trucks and bigger cars.) I bet we will have it done by prom (late April I think). Last year I drove his 64 Corvette to prom and we had a few issues with it but we got it done one hour before it started. That was the first time it had been driven since the previous October so a few hiccups were expected.