My recent project

NicholasShetley

We finally put the doors on and the latches, handles, and trim. The passenger door fit perfect but the driver side door was all out of whack. My grandpa said that it had fell onto one of the corners so that is what caused it. The latch was too big as well so we had to grind it down (could have used the AC Delco grinder there, thanks again guys). Then where it latches was too low so we had to make a spacer for it. After that it finally fit. I will take pictures Monday because with a minimum of 8 inches of snow school will most likely be cancelled.

Here is what it looks like with the doors on. We also did some work to the front end and test fit everything. It all looks like it will work out good. That is dust on the door if anyone was wondering. If you look in the second picture you can see where we had to grind the latch down so it would engage. In the third picture we had to make a spacer so the latch would fully engage. You can adjust that piece so the door can fit tight.

We would like it done in time for senior prom in late April. The interior is almost ready to go to the upholstery guy. The front end is almost done except for paint. The engine and transmission won't take more than two weeks. I think we should get it done in time. If we don't I will take his corvette like I did last year.

• 2 weeks later...

His poor truck has over 500,000 miles on it (not on the engine). We have another 454 to put in it that is in better shape. It was starting to burn oil and wasn't running near as strong. It won't be too big of a project, couple days at the most.

Good thing you guys are working on it. I remember my first car had an oil leak and went to the mechanics to get it fixed. They fixed it but the jerks didn't have the decency of wiping the leaked oil sitting at the bottom of the engine. I don't know if its laziness or negligence or even a money thing as I would have gladdly paid them for the price of their shop towels if they got ruined.

To cut to the end of the story, every other time I got my car serviced, they kept telling me it was leaking although the leak was fixed. They were simply looking at oil from the leak before it got fixed.

Most people would scrap it if it was theirs. It is worth less than 1500 but the thing is in perfect mechanical shape. The story you listed above is why we do our own work because unless you know the people doing the work I wouldn't trust them.