My recent project

NicholasShetley

We finally took the truck to its first show. The truck drove great but the suspension has no give at all on it so it rode rough. It didn't have a heating issue at all. We won second place at the show but they didn't have any classes at this show so 20 got a first, second and third place trophy for a total of 60 trophies. The engine hasn't gone through a drop of oil and runs great oil pressure so the engine appears to be a good one. It will also get the truck up to speed in no time. It will also break the rear tires loose in first gear with anything more than half throttle. So far I haven't gone much beyond that since the truck doesn't have power steering or power brakes.

• Like 2

We are going to the biggest and last car show of the year (around here at least) tomorrow. It is in Corning Arkansas which is 100 miles from my hometown. We will probably be with a group of around 50 or so cars from around here. The show cars here aren't trailer queens that is for sure. There were about 150 cars in total there last year and it was in the 40s last year. This year it is supposed to be around 80 so the weather should be great. I will try and take some pictures too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The truck now has a little over 700 miles on it and it has done excellent for all of those miles. The electric fan has eliminated the overheating issues and if won't run any hotter than 190. We did raise the front end up last week and it rides much smoother. The springs kept bottoming out before and now the springs have more travel. We need to raise the rear end up because those springs are bottoming out too. We also put new seals in the rear end because they started to leak quite a bit. I also repainted the headers since most of the paint flaked off when we first ran the engine. The paint stuck like glue this time. The engine starts and runs beautifully, it will usually start first or second hit, it will also smoke the tires off like nothing. Most of the car shows here are later in the year so we should have time to get most of the things fixed. I will try to keep you guys updated on the progress this summer and share pictures of the local car shows.

• 1 month later...

We finally have the rear end raised up and it rides so much better. It was a pain to do though. The entire exhaust system had to come down because it hit the springs and we also cut one spring to make it shorter because it was really close to rubbing the wheels. I put new plug wires on it and it hasn't misfired since. I also wound up painting the alternator too. The aluminum was all dirty and looked horrible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...