I Had No Idea There Were That Many Screw Drives invented.

DR99

Seems like everything is better than Phillips. I hate using them, especially when I teach new people have to constantly remind them to put more force when driving. Sounds like these people are hammer drilling when driving screw's using Phillips tips. Only don't mind Phillips on low torque applications or while using a #3 bit.

Originally Phillips were machine screws for soft metals such as aluminum, and were designed to cam out to avoid stripping. There are quite a few cruciform or cross drives phillips and frearson are the two most common and are usually just called phillips by most folks. One of the biggest problems with what some folks call a phillips deck /wood screw is that they are actually a frearson drive. If you use a phillips bit you are more likely to cam out the screw.

Originally Phillips were machine screws for soft metals such as aluminum, and were designed to cam out to avoid stripping. There are quite a few cruciform or cross drives phillips and frearson are the two most common and are usually just called phillips by most folks. One of the biggest problems with what some folks call a phillips deck /wood screw is that they are actually a frearson drive. If you use a phillips bit you are more likely to cam out the screw.

I love learning about this stuff.  Never knew that