drills combos

click4chips

hi guys,

im looking to buy a drill combo set... and im a little overwhelmed when looking and reading... what brands  what voltage what battery Ah ... im not building a house but i dont want to buy a somthing and regret it and say oh why didnt i spend 40 or 50$ to get the better one.... im in canada and have a some gift cards for homedepot ... so heres what they have ..... anything jump out at you guys... what would be a good deal,

thanks!!

http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/combo-kits/171104

Yup if you can't afford it, Ridgid. Ridgid does make good tools for the most part and they are pretty durable as well as powerful. Also, God help me for saying this here, you can buy a Ryobi 18v lithium kit with saws and everything if you If you want quality and a great line to expand in then you might want to look at Milwaukee

I was going to suggest milwaukee m12 but looking at hd canadas pricing, I would suggest instead the 3 piece dewalt 12v combo with a drill, impact and reciprocating saw for $199. I think for the home owners a 12v tool set should be enough.

If you need more power I would suggest the m18 milwaukee 2 piece combo set with the hammer drill and impact for $249. Yes its $50 more than the 2 piece m18 similar set but this one has the beefier hammer drill. Even though you may not need it now, its great to have a hammer drill for those few times you need to drill into concrete.

Those are the best suggestions I could do without knowing what your price range is and what you will be using your tools for.

Maybe you only need a drill/driver. The m18 and m12 milwaukee drill kits are a great choice. Didn't check pricing though

Dr99 has good advice for the ryobi and you cant go wrong with them 

Yup, if you want a solid tool set Ridgid in the USA is $199. The drill and driver are both powerful and well built (not Milwaukee tough but...). AND if you register the tools for the lifetime warranty they actually, in my case, do replace batteries at no charge.

That's the Milwaukee kit that I have, the price must have came up a bit. I havent had any experience with the newer Dewalt tools but I am completely satisfied with my m18 stuff. I feel like you cant really go wrong either way tho.

I'm unfortunately biased. I had a 20v Dewalt and did. Or like it. Milwaukee is a solid performer with WAY more tools in their line than Dewalt. But truthfully the fact is instead of asking go on the Maine site (TiA) and check out the reviews Eric and Dan have done. You might develop an opinion that is based on something other than all of our personal preferences. I will say the M18 kit you are looking at is a solid performer and the drill has an all metal chuck too, unlike the Dewalt..

Both are great, the only differences I can think of would be the Milwaukee might have a bit more power in the hammer drill and has a metal chuck while the dewalt has a plastic chuck but Milwaukee would be a little longer and heaver than the dewalt. The two impacts from either brand are very similar in performance.

Another way to look at it is if you ever want to add more tools in the future, Milwaukee has the best cordless 18v circular saw period. The only 18v saw better than theirs is their own fuel circular saw and Milwaukee has a ton of brushless tools.

I owned dewalt 20v. Good tools, very tough. At the time they had hardly any tools, and very slow on releasing new tools. Milwaukee was and still is blowing them out of the water. They are now starting to catch up, i do like there ocilating tool, now i own one haha! But back to the thread, I now have the M18 fuel drill, and its awesome, i recommend the M18 kit.  The plastic vs. metal chuck would make or break it for me. Plastic cannot take abuse like metal can. Milwaukee also has a 5 year warranty vs. DeWalts 3. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think Ridgid is going to be the best Bang for your buck you can buy bare tools now too expand into other tools like a Circular saw, Reciprocating saw, grinder, impact wrench, and the jobmax system which has a ton of different attachments.

I have heard Ridgid has some battery problems, but lifetime warranty takes car of that. If you do decide to buy more tools in the future, Milwaukee has one of the largest 18v lines on the market. Also all of there tools are professional quality tools. WHich they offer the next best warranty, 5 year. Also imo getting the hammer drill is key, for a little more it opens up a whole other world for drilling applications.