Need a compact Router

Brian M. II

I would like to get into doing more stuff as I plan to build my own house. I was thinking of finishing a table I started, redoing our cupboards, putting in drawers, making a gun rack, and maybe some other projects down the road. Thanks for your help. I saw the router with the kit for 250$ or without the plunge base for 180$. I wasn't sure if I could by the plunge base later or if it was worth buying it as a kit now. Thank you.

Yeah I wanted to stay below 150 but it seems to be worth the extra just to get this one to start with. This is one reason I like being a  part of TIA. I now can ask the questions and get feedback on what I am looking for from others, instead of making a poor decision. I definitely think  I am sold on the 2 1/4 I just am not sure if I need the plunge kit yet, or if I can buy the plunge base a month or so down the road. After I figure that out I will have a new tool to help finish up some projects. 

Yeah I wanted to stay below 150 but it seems to be worth the extra just to get this one to start with. This is one reason I like being a  part of TIA. I now can ask the questions and get feedback on what I am looking for from others, instead of making a poor decision. I definitely think  I am sold on the 2 1/4 I just am not sure if I need the plunge kit yet, or if I can buy the plunge base a month or so down the road. After I figure that out I will have a new tool to help finish up some projects. 

I think it may be easier to get the kit now, it may be hard to find just the base later, becasue they only sell this router in home depot, and if you do find one, the price may be pretty high for just a base.

Thanks Chase. You have been a huge help. I thought that would be the consensus. I think that's exactly what I will do. I plan to check my funds and just buy the kit even if I have to wait a couple weeks. I would rather spend the extra now for a good router to tackle all my jobs then find out I need a larger one later on. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP router kit Model # 5616-24. I have only used it for 1 project and it work great. The soft start is very easy and gives plenty of time for a good hold. The router is lighter than I expected and very easy to control with one hand. I plan to make a router table for it in the future. I didn't have time to do that before this project so I through together a quick jig to hold my pieces and give me a larger area to set my base on to have a more consistent pattern. My wife held the jig and it went great. This is the most I have used a router and I would make this purchase again. I have used my dad’s older, larger router before and it this one is a lot easier to control. I had so much fun doing the project I have already found more projects when time and money permits. I want to thank everyone on this forum who helped me make a wise choice and go with something a bit larger. This router had tons of power and although I didn't get to play with many functions I like having the variable speed in case I need it and I like how the depth is set. I can’t believe I haven't bought one of these before. I also love the case. I like how the two sides fold down and how many slots there are for bits. I may do a full review after I have used it for a while on a larger array of projects.