DIY Homeowner Air Compressor

KurtS

Hey everyone..purchased our 1st home about 6 mo ago and really getting into projects..been looking for a quality air compressor for nailing,painting, auto work..top end of budgets with tax would be 350$ ..thank you all

How much painting will you be doing? That requires a lot of cfm. The rest can be supported with a decent 20 gallon compressor.

My biggest painting project is my entire exterior of house..and hopefully wood fencd one day

Here is a real nice craftsman...33 gallon 165 psi $285 +tax...I will have to check on the paint situation

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-33-gallon-vertical-air-compressor/p-00916572000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Thanks chase, didnt think to look at sears..thats a nice look compressor for the price! ..btw stay safe (i was firefighter for almost 5 years but due to lung issues had to atop)

Thanks chase, didnt think to look at sears..thats a nice look compressor for the price! ..btw stay safe (i was firefighter for almost 5 years but due to lung issues had to atop)

No problem and thanks, its a childhood dream haha.

Edit:Just noticed you are in florida where abouts are you?

No problem and thanks, its a childhood dream haha.

Edit:Just noticed you are in florida where abouts are you?

And craftsman is quality name..i maybe stopping at sears this weekend ! South central on east side..about hour south of orlando..

I did my firefigting with dept of defense in ky/tn ..alabama..and a tour overseas , its definately a job you have to have a passion for

And craftsman is quality name..i maybe stopping at sears this weekend ! South central on east side..about hour south of orlando..

I did my firefigting with dept of defense in ky/tn ..alabama..and a tour overseas , its definately a job you have to have a passion for

Yeah go into sears and check them out. Im up towards Daytona Beach. And thanks for your service! Yeah it takes a special breed.

That Craftsman compressor seems to be rated at 6.8 cfm @ 40 psi. With a 33 gallon tank @ 165psi you can probably run a high-volume sprayer for a while, but you might have to stop frequently to let the tank rebuild because the compressor won't be able to supply air as fast as the gun consumes it. I'm not sure how much of an issue this would be in practice because I've never actually used one, just something to consider. For a job as large as painting your house or a fence, it might make a difference.

My 5 HP 60 gal. put out around 16 @ 90. Painting requires a lot of air and your best bet for a smaller unit will be HVLP. You can do about anything with a smaller unit, it's just a matter of for how long.

If you don't need it immediately, I'd watch Craigslist for a bigger used unit. If you live within reasonable driving distance to a bigger metro area this may be a really viable option.

It's almost 0330 on the east coast, but I'll do some looking and chime back in tomorrow afternoon.

threeve, chase, dr99, conductor....thank you all for the advice and help. Sounds like for painting the house which id hopefully be doing only once while we are here id be better off possibly renting a big.compressor or unless i find used one od course.

Thank you all again for your time and responses!

threeve, chase, dr99, conductor....thank you all for the advice and help. Sounds like for painting the house which id hopefully be doing only once while we are here id be better off possibly renting a big.compressor or unless i find used one od course.

Thank you all again for your time and responses!

Yeah that may be you best bet, But for all the other needs a smaller compressor will be more than enough. A good sized pancake or hotdog style, 5-8 gallons can support impacts and such no problem. I like the Ridgid tri stack, 5 gallon 160 psi, Ridgid makes some nice indrustrial tough compressors, here is the link and it can be bought for much less than 299, but this shows it off a lot.http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Tri-Stack-5-Gal-Portable-Electric-Steel-Orange-Air-Compressor-OF50150TS/202078695#

• Like 1

I would get the craftsman because with the smaller pancake compressor it will have to cycle after about one or two lug nuts.

Good point because thatd be a litttle annoying..id be okay if it filled between tires but after two nuts would be really annoying

I think he would be ok with that tristack, its supports 160 max psi, 5 gallons, the other big thing is portability, that craftsman is going no further than the driveway, the smaller tri stack or any other pancake compressor can be taken anywhere you need it.

You could also check craigslist for a good used one for cheap.[/quote

Yea conductor mentioned that as well, ill probably see whats in the area tomorrow,,and im gonna ask around work

Does the compressor need to be portable, or will it not leave your house?