Milwaukee Fuel Impact Driver

firefighter4187

yeah i was surprised Dan won this argument. I love my 985, but I dont think the extra grunt and third gear are enough to get it over the line against the runtime and length of the FUEL drill (not that I've used it).  But how lucky as consumers are we to have such choices!

On another note, I remember the first brushless dewalt impact driver (DCF895) coming in right on par with the FUEL impact in the tool fight. I assume the DCF886 (which i love!) would do the same. But the FUEL has 3 speeds? Should/could it have won that category too?

Was the Dewalt oscillating tool lucky to get the nod over the Bosch also?

I have mostly Dewalt (for cordless), and love my gear, but I'm feeling they got pretty lucky in these awards...

@ gatorb88

My entire comment had to do with rpm's. Also the tested rpm's are not my findings. If you don't like the numbers take it up with protoolreviews as I didn't come up with those numbers.

I had both drills in my possession at one time and honestly I expected the dewalt to turn the chuck faster than the Milwaukee but I didn't notice any difference. The info from ptr backed up what my eyes noticed.

Is the dewalt the clear winner in the wood large hole saw test? Absolutely!

Is the Milwaukee the clear winner at hammer drilling? Absolutely!

Each one has its strengths. Is one drill better than the other overall? No

If you were thinking I was going to reply with something like "oh the Milwaukee hammer drill is way better than the dewalt hammer drill" you are mistaken.

If someone on this forum asked about the dcd985, I would have no problem recommending it. I used to own it and that thing is a beast, it never let me down.

You probably didn't expect me to give dewalt a compliment. Although I do prefer Milwaukee, there are plenty of areas where dewalt leads the way.

I was not thinking you'd reply with anything and I was not attacking anything you said. You actually said nothing wrong. I was just bringing what I thought to be an interesting topic. Tool Specifications do not necessarily equate to application speed.

Gator888 with the mac line of auto tools are the batterys interchangable with regular 12/20v batterys and vice versa?

From what I understand. They actually haven't shared too much info about that launch with us. Mac is on a different side of the company.

Edit: I did some digging and yes, it looks like they are completely interchangeable.

From what I understand. They actually haven't shared too much info about that launch with us. Mac is on a different side of the company.

Edit: I did some digging and yes, it looks like they are completely interchangeable.

That's good for Mac users.

I think Dewalt could really benefit from an effort to educate everyone on how UWO's work. I think it would make a great article and I'd be more than happy to write it up.

• Like 1

I think Dewalt could really benefit from an effort to educate everyone on how UWO's work. I think it would make a great article and I'd be more than happy to write it up.

I think Dewalt had a better write-up about the UWO rating on their site a couple of years ago. This is all they have now.

http://www.dewalt.com/featured-articles/power-tools-what-does-torque-rating-really-mean.aspx

• Like 1

After reading the article, I can understand what they're trying to do; trying to create a standard to measure the power/ work load of a drill. It doesn't matter if you have 5000ft•lbs of torque if your drill only moves at 10 rpms, nor if you you have 5000rpm but only 10ft•lbs of torque it's gonna take you a long time to do work.

Torque and rpm are such ingrained ratings and selling points, it's doubtful that anyone else is going to move away from them anytime soon. Maybe if Dewalt had left the torque and rpm with an equation to UWO it wouldn't have created such mistrust.

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing I can think they can improve on this Driver is the chuck but besides that nothing else, so I say you should get it.[/quote

Are you talking about the Milwaukee impactors chuck? I think the hex chuck is a pretty solid chuck. The hammer drills chuck on the Milwaukee is stellar too. Or are you referring to the Dewalt hammer drill chuck

ahh thanks for the video, i know what you mean now. i suppose this would matter in some scenarios, as you don't have to take your hand off the grip.

i think i usually switch hands to remove bits, negating this efficiency...

Yeah, it comes in handy at certain times, like when I got the driver on my belt and I only have one free hand, but thanks to this bit I don't have to remove bits that much anymore.

post-28287-0-10351100-1390739890_thumb.j

It's a time saver, only bad thing is that it is not magnetic, but the convenience of having the Square, Flat and Phillips bit, plus the 1/4 and 3/8 nut driver sizes makes it worth while.

I'm pretty late to the impact driver game and I picked up one of these a few months back.

Anyway I love using it but In all honesty, they just don't work in the theater industry. The noise level from an impact prevent people from communicating. Several time today I was told to stop because they were focusing lights on a lift.