Curious about Ryobi opinions...

Kato

It always makes me wonder when I see people talk down about Ryobi. I've used Ryobi power tools for years, my oldest are 12 years old, and apart form the NiCad batteries dying (which isn't a problem anymore because I use the shells to hang my power tools) the tools are still going as strong as the day I bought them. Currently I own around 20 or so power tools from Ryobi, and I love every one of them. The only one that stunk was the leaf blower I had, which was great until the cheap-ass plastic flywheel broke. Wasn't gonna even bother trying to find parts, just went out and bought a different blower (that has a metal flywheel). I'm not just a weekend-warrior do-it-yourself type of guy, I've used my Ryobi tools for some pretty heavy-duty work as a maintenance mechanic, and never had a single issue with any of them.

Makes me curious as to why people don't like Ryobi. Anybody care to enlighten me?

My step dad had a 14v ryobi drill and it was pretty good.

They ain't the most powerful or fastest tools but they do get the job done. Protoolreviews had done some round ups with ryobi in the mix and it can hang with the big boys.

People that say they suck probably haven't tried them or are just snobs

I used the crap out of my Ryobi tools before I upgraded to Milwaukee. Nothing went horribly wrong with the tools the biggest issue was I had some of my Lithium battery packs failed in less than a year. If you look that seems to be the biggest complaint with Ryobi. I still use my Ryobi 18v garden tools and they work awesome!!

Havent tried any of the one+ stuff, but my old boss who is a cheapo bought a kit circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill, flashlight etc a few years back.  It lasted less then a week on the job site doing electrical work.  I know the drill got smoked trying to run a 5/8" auger, the circular saw dropped off a saw horse and shattered the case.  The reciprocating saw burnt up cutting a notch in a top plate making room for wires in a panel. 

Needless to say not a fan cant tell you how many times ive dropped both dewalt and milwaukee out the attic and have never had a problem.  Both also laugh at a 5/8" auger we usually run a 3/4" in them with no issues.

Yea I just got that email too Red I wonder what they are going to release this summer. I need to fix my Ryobi hedge trimmers the one hand guard on it broke and was pretty bummed big time about it. It had worked really good for a few years till that moment I only use it a few times during the growing season. My next door neighbors put up hedges instead of a privacy fence, so to keep things from getting over grown on my side I need to trim it a few times over the summer and fall. I got it as a refurbished unit and was surprised about how much power it did have I had a gas power trimmer and that thing was heavy and hard to start.

I can't handle their stuff. Because of the cost we end up with a lot of ryobi going through our shop. Their ni-cad batteries seemed to burn out if you look at them wrong and I've seen them break in every way possible. Even the radio broke in under a year of use.

I will give them credit for innovation. They really expanded their palate regarding cordless tools. Heck they had a chainsaw ten years ago!

The NiCads suck, but any NiCad is gonna suck after time. My only real gripe with Ryobi was always the NiCads...they could last for 10 years or last for 4 months, and you never knew when they were gonna crap out. I like the Lithiums so far, they really do hold a charge longer and supply better power to the tools. I've been able to keep most of my NiCads usable, using a trick I found in a YouTube vid, so it's not all bad. But, they won't hold a candle to the Lithiums. So far build-wise and usability, the tools have been perfect. I've put my old "blue" tools through hell and back, working on heavy machinery, building maintenance, etc., and they just always kept going strong. The thing that gets me is the weight of the Lithiums, in your hand it feels like all you're holding is the plastic shell. Can't believe that they have that type of capacity and power in something that feels like it's empty.

To me price is always a factor which is why I first started buying Ryobi, but the truth of the matter is that if the tools stunk I wouldn't own them at any price. Hell, brand names don't mean diddly to me, all I care about is that whatever I own it does what it's supposed to do when I want it to do it. Even the cheap "you think it won't work worth a crap" Grabit bits I have, those things actually work, and work well. Don't care who made them, don't care that they were cheap...they work, so I like them.

Like everybody else Kato, I want that Airstrike.  I have used a couple of their tools and for the most part theyre not too bad.  I love my Ryobi router table, at the time I could not afford the Bosch and so far ithas held up real well.  I am not a fan of their corded jigsaws and I just got rid of my Ryobi contractor saw, it was giving me problems. Thus far though my favorite Ryobi tool is my buffer!

I've got their 1/4 sheet sander, and while I hate sanding stuff I like the sander. Was gonna buy their belt sander but went with the Skil instead. I've been thinking about the difference between getting the AirStrike or getting just their standard air nailer; whether I'd mind running the air hose through the house if I needed the nailer. I keep thinking the only real reason I want the AirStrike is because it looks so damned sweet and it's a One+ tool, which fits in with all the other tools I have. Either way it'd be better than the "blue" nailer/stapler, that thing works but accuracy is a big issue. Doesn't really drive nails straight all the time, which can ruin thinner wood pretty easily. And when using staples it jams often.

My Ryobi addiction...

12058211153_247a5c6c68_b.jpg

20 tools there, and only one is corded. Slight Ryobi One+ addiction...and I'll probably have to take another photo soon, got their thickness planer and the AirStrike on the "gonna get it soon" list. One of these days I'm going to give the garage and everything a proper photo shoot, so far I've been too lazy to do anything serious by way of photos, too much work sometimes.

I use it more than once a day, almost every day. It works great, but a while back I had to tear it down to resurface the "slide" areas that it turns on. After so many years of use it got a little rough in there and wouldn't turn very well, so I had to get in there and fix things. After that it's been the tiniest bit off, and I keep trying to square it up. So far it's been good though, once in a while it seems like it's off but if I work it right it all works out. It's not off enough to cause any issues with putting stuff together.

They have newer versions of a lot of stuff, all of the "green" tools. The miter saw looks good in green but I'd assume it's the same thing as the "blue" version. There's probably some type of improvements on it, but I haven't checked it out to see what they'd be. It actually cuts quite a bit on a full charge with the NiCads, I can leave a NiCad in it and cut for a good couple of days without worrying about swapping the battery out. I've only used the Lithium batteries a couple of times with it so far, they work great and do seem to give it a slight boost in power, but I'm not too sure of the compatibility with them because the saw cut out once while I was cutting, like the battery was dead but it wasn't. The Lithiums are able to run until they die, and then the tools will cut out. That's what it did with the miter saw one time, but I don't know if it was an issue with the saw, the battery, or if I just let go of the trigger and didn't realize it.

You also have to watch your blade, not only the sharpness of it but also the tooth count and tooth angles. Some blades just don't work well in this miter saw.

I never had any issues working with the saw on the job, always performed great. But, if there was a choice between corded or cordless(if you have available power), I'd go with a corded miter saw because it gives you a bigger blade and steadier power. The One+ is only 8 1/4"...which is good for what I do but there's times when I wish it was a 10" or bigger, or that it was a slider. If Ryobi made a sliding miter saw in One+ I'd be all over it.

Somehow curiosity hit me, Googled Ryobi to see who was behind them. Turns out it's Techtronic Industries, the mother company of Ryobi...and  Milwaukee, Rigid, AEG, Hoover, Dirt Devil, and others...surprising to me to be honest, didn't realize that Ryobi was part of the same company that makes Milwaukee and Rigid

Yup, Klutch is basically Ryobi in sheeps clothing. Same product, same pricing. The only difference with the compact drill is that Ryobi gives you two of their better batteries, compact Lithiums that have the battery gauge, Klutch gives you just the standard compact and standard "full-capacity" batteries. The $10 price difference is pretty stupid when you consider the Ryobi version is $10 cheaper for two better batteries.

Klutch seems to be their own thing though, they have tap and die sets, sockets, cord reels, flashlights, etc.. Probably Northern's house brand. I don't recall if I've ever bought anything from Northern, I think I did but can't remember what. They seem like the Walmart of the tool world though, everything you want they have it. No problem with that of course, I've always said that brand name doesn't really mean much these days. The only thing you see in brands is the level of customer service and quality control being different, otherwise a drill is a drill, a hammer is a hammer.

Somehow curiosity hit me, Googled Ryobi to see who was behind them. Turns out it's Techtronic Industries, the mother company of Ryobi...and Milwaukee, Rigid, AEG, Hoover, Dirt Devil, and others...surprising to me to be honest, didn't realize that Ryobi was part of the same company that makes Milwaukee and Rigid

Look up all the brands owned by Stanley/B&D if you wanna be amazed.