1/2 Bath Remodel

djslater

The 1/2 bath demo has begun!

This bath is off the kitchen / dining room. It's a tight space, as you can see...I will measure, but I think it's like 6'x4'.

I'm going to put in a:

1. pedestal sink

2. new toilet (the guts in this one have rusted away, and are unrepairable)

3. remove the wall tile

4. maybe put wainscoating in

5. re-rock

6. paint

I'm also going to clean up the tile floor...it'll look retro with the new paint, and clean grout!

More pics as progress allows...

:D

We knew this was one of the first projects when we bought the house...thank's to the fashionable styles of the 1960's.

Someone at work told me that if I list the toilet tank lid on eBay, that it'll get a lot of $$$ because those lids are a rare find....not holding my breath.

We knew this was one of the first projects when we bought the house...thank's to the fashionable styles of the 1960's.

Someone at work told me that if I list the toilet tank lid on eBay, that it'll get a lot of $$$ because those lids are a rare find....not holding my breath.

Why not sell the whole shitter :lol:

The toilet you can sell on ebay, you will be surprised what you can get for it. People are big time in to retro. You are lucky from what I can tell from your photos the tile is a glue job and not a mud job. Also I see you have cast iron base board I would kill to get my hands on that for when I re do my bathroom this spring.  

Its nice making money off of trash. I remember my cheapo bedroom dvd player/surround sound system broke down a few years ago and I was going to throw it all in the dumpster but I figured let me see if some one would buy the speakers by themselves and sure enough they did. I think I got $25 for my garbage

I'm glad this only took a whole friggin day to demo!!!

The tiles were liquid nailed onto the sheetrock...so, after somethinking, I figured it would be best/easiest to put the Hackzall to use!!!

I used the cap tile as my guide, and the Hackzall went through like butter. I wasn't sure where the plumbing was, and am actually amazed I didn't hit any pipe...I guess my patience, and caution paid off. I didn't hit too many studs either...so very minimal damage to the guts of the bathroom with my blind demolition!

The drywall was nailed to the studs, and it took some elbow grease pulling them out...but it got done. The sheetrock was put on the studs, the tile floor was put in after that (entombing the drywall), the tile was then liquid nailed to the drywall (entombing some of the trim)....this was very tedious.

Any ideas on how to get ALL of the sheetrock up from behind the radiator, without removing the radiator itself??? I imagine that removing the radiator will be a much larger task than I want to get myself into...

btw...date on the toilet lid was March 1961...that thing has been through some tough shit...

Any ideas on how to get ALL of the sheetrock up from behind the radiator, without removing the radiator itself??? I imagine that removing the radiator will be a much larger task than I want to get myself into...

btw...date on the toilet lid was March 1961...that thing has been through some tough shit...

To remove the radiator you would have to shut your system down and drain it. It is not worth all of the work to remove that little bit of dry wall. Reach around the back and score it with a razor knife the find a scraper and slide it between the radiator and dry wall then pry on it it will brake a part easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the room rocked...need to tape, and do 3 coats of compound.

I purchased the vanity:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297597-68085-39518_1z0xzqk+1z10gxw+2z8vn__?productId=3162241&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=1.0|$50%20-%20$100

20", and I may have to cut out to fit around the radiator like the last one was fastened. I think total this renovation is going to cost ~$300 or a little less.