Makita 18X2 Circular Saw

regopit

• 3 weeks later...

From over at the tool ToolGuyd

http://toolguyd.com/makita-18v-x2-circular-saw-xsh01z/#comment-198413

"Going by the prices of Makita’s other 18V X2 products, the price of the bare circular saw might be in the $300-$350 range. If so, the total cost for the bare tool, a charger, and one set of batteries would be over $500."

In all honesty, who in the hell is going to pay $500 for a cordless saw when a lighter, superior, electric saw can be had for $150? Is it really worth over 300% more to cut the cord? Not to me it isn't.

Being mobile can be quite the advantage on many job sites I am on. It looks like the X2 saw is going to be lighter, from the little info I can web gather, and to some of us a superior mobility tool. I'd like to do some framing and see how it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

its really not much more than the FUEL circ saw right? considering the power you get, doesn't seem fair to criticise its cost that much, especially for those who are already on the platform with plenty of batts ...

seems pretty innovative to allow 18V users a 36V 7-1/4" circ saw ...

• 1 month later...

If you have all of the batteries already which is most of who is going to buy the saw, then the tool only price is almost the same as the M18 fuel saw in tool only and as other reviewers have stated the savings combined with the blade options in 7.25" makes the Makita saw better in the long run.

http://toolguyd.com/makita-18v-x2-circular-saw-xsh01z/

review that compares the two

http://www.coptool.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-vs-makita-18vx2-cordless-circular-saw-showdown/

another review comparing the two

I really want this new Makita saw but I already have the fuel circ saw and really like it and I have an older Makita lxt 18v circ saw.

The lighter weight of the M18 fuel is pretty substantial though at 2 pounds. Like everything it comes down to which battery system you have bought into. I don't think this is going to get many non Makita guys to make the jump into the brand just for this tool.

The lighter weight of the M18 fuel is pretty substantial though at 2 pounds. Like everything it comes down to which battery system you have bought into. I don't think this is going to get many non Makita guys to make the jump into the brand just for this tool.

Full size 7-1/4 blade is a huge step in the right direction. I wonder what the power difference is between the Fuel and X2.

i dont believe it, it has to be a typo. my 9-1/4" electric Makita can't make it through 3". 

half of a 7-1/4" blade is still less than 4", and that doesn't take the arbor into account, or the fact that the blade isn't mounted to the base plate.