does anyone have any tips on making a sound enclosure for an air compressor?

astroboy

It's funny, because I am planning on doing the same thing for the compressor being delivered to my house in a few days...I have some egg crate foam I was going to use for sound dampening...but would like input from others as well, astro.

Hey guys.

I'm working on my design for this but I have a question about the video.

It looks as if the section above has a maze of MDF to deaden the sound. But then the entire area is covered with foam. Does that mean he doesn't have any venting whatsoever? I would have imagined that you'd need a flow for air to escape (even if it's a convoluted path)

It just seems like a lot of work and materials when they make quiet compressors that aren't that much more expensive.

Yeah, that's a really good point...the only other thing the noise enclosure I hope to build will accomplish, is that it will make the compressor more mobile, and have tool storage.

I intend to make a air compressor cart, that will have sound proofing in it...but, I guess you can purchase a quiet one with wheels, and make something quick and dirty for accessory storage.

Aside from Harold's Rolair, does anyone else have some quiet compressor recommendations?

If you look the front louvers are the air intake that's why he has all the baffles in it so help reflect the sound waves he added a "bottom" to it so he could put foam there also. I hope I kind of explained the idea.

I see where the air vents are. But it looks as if there is a foam barrier between the compressor and the vents that are in the top half. I would have assumed that this would have been a no-no.   If it's not a problem, then I'm home free on this project.

As for a quiet air compressor, I've never seen any of the available in Canada and since I've already bought my compressors, I'm out of luck.

Since I work in theatre I'd like something that can roll around the stage while there's often a dozen or so people tying to communicate to each other. So if I can take that sound down a bit, I'll be pretty happy.

• 1 month later...