Need Suggestions On A Circular Saw

DamianD

Been wanting to add a circular saw to the tool list lately but not sure what to get.  Im not going to be building a house with the thing. Its mainly going to be for around the house projects and what not.  Im not trying to spend a whole lot either since it wont really be getting used much. Im thinking corded over cordless for that reason. Ive checked out a few porter cables and they're priced nicely but i havent found one that comes with a hard case which is a must.  Other brands that I trust are just too much money for the moment.  How are the saws from sears?? They seem to be cheap and have cool features like the laser guide.  What are your 2cents??

Chase is right about that but if your going to just have one for the odd job around the house I think you might be looking in the right area with those saws. Skil makes a really decent quality tool for a real cheap price too. I've used the Ryobi, not a bad saw but the jig saw sucks. You can try CPO also. For instance CPO Ryobi or CPO Milwaukee etc. you can normally find new quality reconditioned tools for a cheap price but a visit to HD or Lowes or Sears might turn up a decent price on a decent home owner saw. My Dad gave me his 7-1/4" Craftsman that he has had for YEARS. It is an entry level low power saw that works slick as snot and I keep it in my shed for outdoor dirty projects. Don't get too pent up about a hard case too, you can get a Dewalt tool box at HD with weather gaskets for $20 that'll hold that new investment pretty well. Good luck!

I've got this Porter Cable saw (pc15 tcsmk) and it comes with the hard case and rip fence:

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC15TCSMK-4-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Circular/dp/B0041K36JC/ref=sr_1_1

I was debating between this one and the Dewalt DWE575SB which I think is similar to the one Chase posted but also has an electronic brake and overmolded grip. So far the PC has worked just fine, no complaints, no regrets.

I would love that dewalt but after buying a case for it id be at around $140. A case is a must even if i get it separately because i get crabby as hell if things arent organized in the garage. Im trying to stay below $100 total. What about ridgid saws? They any good?

I've got this Porter Cable saw (pc15 tcsmk) and it comes with the hard case and rip fence:

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC15TCSMK-4-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Circular/dp/B0041K36JC/ref=sr_1_1

I was debating between this one and the Dewalt DWE575SB which I think is similar to the one Chase posted but also has an electronic brake and overmolded grip. So far the PC has worked just fine, no complaints, no regrets.

Yeah thats like $10 more, has electric brake and grip.

Edit: i ended up going with the porter cable. I liked the idea of the ridgid lifetime warranty but ended up choosing the pc by a flip of the coin as well as saving a little money to put elsewhere. I also read about some cons with the ridgid's shoe flexing or what not. Im not a pro i honestly dont know what that even means but alot of reviews mentioned it soo yeah.

Good for you WT. The PC should work fine for you. When you get a chance and some freed up cash look into getting yourself a good quality blade (finish or framing depending on what your doing). The saw will be just fine, the blade is really going to improve your cuts. Also make sure the laser is lined up right. You don't want to be following a slightly off laser. Even slightly out of adjustment can cost you as you make longer cuts.

• 4 months later...

I have this one too,it comes with a hard case. Its actually a pretty nice saw for the money. Cuts nice it does what its intended. The blade that comes with it also isnt really that bad althou I like the bosch and freud blades better.