Choosing Screws

djslater

One thing I noted that the guy didn't seem to catch on to was that the drywall screw had a finer thread. My guess would be that that had a lot to do with better grip. I would bet money that if the guy used coarse thread drywall screw's the numbers would be similar

I use #8 Philips drywall screws for everything, and have done so for 28 years as a maintenance mechanic. Never had any problems, never had anything break or fall apart. And in 28 years I think I've probably snapped the heads off of maybe 10 screws, so yup...don't think I need to worry much about it. I normally try to get course thread but to be honest I never really saw much difference with fine thread versus course.

This is bad.

Drywall screws are made of brittle hardened steel that often snap when driving them into material. The base of the head is designed to dimple the paper. The screw guns are designed to drive the screws to the right depth inorder to not rip the paper. I have snapped many drywall screws when installing board because of a knot or something. Drywall screws should never be used for structure for this reason. They should never be used outside because they can rust. They should never be use with pressure treated because the preservatives in PT will oxidize the metal. Deck screws are coated to be compatible with PT. The threads on drywall screws are usually cut closer to the head of the screw compared to wood screws. This helps the wood screw clamp two pieces of wood together. 

Course drywall screws should be used with conventional framing lumber because it is usually a soft wood like pine. Fine drywall screws should be used in hardwoods. 

The fella in the video did a great job of reducing the variables of his experiment but he neglected material composition and overlooked the screws applications.

Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet... I'm a French model.  

• Like 1

Of course I use the appropriate screw when the job calls for it, but for basics and random everyday stuff...drywall screws all the way. I've used drywall screws to build and repair all kinds of stuff with never an issue. Drive types, don't really have a preference between Philips, Robertson (square), Torx, etc., just habit to get Philips.

• 2 weeks later...