Today someone told me I was prejudice

regopit

The big thing in Baltimore city when you remodel is a roof top deck. Thursday a friend that I work with sometimes, called and asked if I would go and look at roof top job and give him a hand if he gets it. He picked me up this morning and on the way, we stopped at 7-11 for a coffee.  Hardly had the door open and I had 5 or 6 Latinos ask if I need any help.  I was nice and told them we really did have any work and we were just stopping for coffee. The leader the one that could speak English looked at me and said you are prejudice because we are Mexican you don’t want to give us any work. Before I could say anything, my friend Rodger says he is free of all prejudice.  He hates everyone equally. Now come on old man and buy me a coffee.

• Like 2

Well guys, I'm trying to come up with some encouraging comments about how your not racist or prejudiced but you have to face some facts. I base my comment on twenty five years of hard earned experience. We live in "the Government and Schools tell us we have earned it" an "ENTITLEMENT" society where, not to worry, we are going to pay for your bills. I live in a predominately white area. I was called a racist by a white kid. I had just arrested him for beating up his girlfriend. Yup, a white kid. That beats up girls. I was so dumbified, all I could stammer in reply was "....what? Your white?" How did racism get brought up? How's about "I'm sorry (insert girl / victim name) I'm so sorry for being a punk". I went to a house because a father couldn't make his kid go to school. I was so ticked off I said "sir, I am a police officer, not his father. Your job is to make him go to school. If he doesn't want to, you physically force him to go to school". The father told me his son has reported him To his school for forcing him physically to go to school. I looked at his son and told him the law that says his dad can physically force, detain or even reprimand him. I was at my favorite breakfast place "Panera" two days ago. The manager in training is a great guy. He's African. His lead catering girl, who is from this little Town in NH, was going on a rampage because "this cop gave me a 120 dollah."...yes, she said "dollah" ticket. She was just minding her business. She was waving her arms up in the air talking "ya'll dis is crazy". I laughed and said "hey, your from Barrington New Hampshire, not gangland L.A." She stormed off and the training manager looked at me and started cracking up.

Sorry guys, we, as workers and home owners, continue to fuel the entitlement mentality by working, paying taxes and just being good citizens. People are now "offended" at simple remarks. I've seen it everywhere. You cannot say anything without offending some whiney pain in the butt "that hurts my feelings....sob, sob sob". My Dad and I can't talk politics because my Mom told me I don't like Obama because I'm a white cop. My Mom said that. MY Mom...of 43 years. Who knows me like no one else. Her oldest son, the guy that has been a helper his whole life. Last time I checked, I'm not a white cop. I am a middle class, working guy who helps people out (any race...we don't pick and chose) and unfortunately am Catholic. I have a JOB. I pay bills, taxes and hell I've even been shot at, while trying to HELP someone out. I AM A a minority. Take that to the bank guys. I was honestly praying for Condoleeza Rice, A BLACK...WOMAN, to run for President against President Obama. As long as people continue to have this mentality the middle class will pay. So Regopit and Red, if I can give you any advice. Just continue what your doing. At least when you get home you can look at yourself in the mirror, like I do and say "thank God for that job, I've got people that love me, a roof over my head, food in my belly and a bunch of great guys on TiA that I can converse with". Your not prejudiced. You pay bills and taxes and thanks to the new government healthcare your even going to get to pay the health care bills for those guys that just called you prejudiced. Those taxes you continue to pay fuel the Welfare machine. I am a FIRM believer in Welfare. But why don't we punish offenders who abuse it? Entitlement. There are people, and I have seen this first hand, that need our help but can't get it. So...Sure you had to work your butts off to pay bills and taxes, start and operate your business, sacrifice family and safety for others, but isn't that that American way?

• Like 1

It's funny Travis, I see more entitlement attitude from white people than I do any other race. My commentary was more addressing the entitlement attitude and prejudicial treatment (or mistreatment if you will). I guess because of where I am from (I was born in SC but am a New Englander) I don't really look at things from the racism point of view but what people are now taught and now expect. People are so easily offended at the slightest comment. Now if you don't coddle someone emotionally you are a bigot or racist or what Regopit was called, a Prejudiced person. I figure if people get their heads out of their collective arses and take responsibility for themselves, this would not be an issue. Instead people think that others are responsible for them and it has even affected our Government. My girlfriend and I had a disagreement about Obamacare. She is a firm believer. I am not. I don't know if it will work, I hope it does. Everyone that needs medical help should receive it. But you know what? I've been doing my job for nearly 17 years and now I have to pay MORE taxes because I have health care?!?! Seriously. What about the $4000 a year I pay in land taxes for my .13 of an acre, three bedroom, 1 bath house with no garage. What about the $700 I just dropped on registration for my truck? Where does that money go? Department of Education to continue to push the entitlement attitude on kids. The Government, which I gladly pay taxes to have operate, but have you seen how much waste is rampant over there?

I don't talk politics because no matter what you say (especially me) you sound like a bigot, prejudiced and to some very ignorant people, maybe even racist. I am not. Samantha and I were listening to the morning buzz (local radio show-funny as heck) and the lead DJ was ticked off because he feels that kids that do good in school should not be treated to special treatment. Samantha and I both disagreed with that. People should be rewarded for good work. If they do bad should they be treated like kids or even workers that excel? No way. What about not keeping score at kids sporting events? Seriously? Like Red says, I guess I'm an arse hole to everyone. I treat everyone the way I want to be treated. Skin color, race, sex, sexual preference, I don't care. People are people, they are created by The Lord (sorry don't mean to OFFEND anyone). Regardless, Maybe it's because I'm Christian and don't want to judge others. Maybe I see value in most people regardless of the above. But when I see that attitude, boy it ticks me off.

• Like 1

Does that mean I'm not a racist because I picked up a day labor today? ;) had a tree stump that had to go, $40 for the Mexican to do it or a few hours of my fat ass sweating in the dirt.. Easy call.

I pulled up to the "spot", (behind a Mexican restaurant), gave a head nod, and they came running. :) ... Best $40 I ever spent, he dug out the stump while I studied math.. Win/win

Does that mean I'm not a racist because I picked up a day labor today? ;) had a tree stump that had to go, $40 for the Mexican to do it or a few hours of my fat ass sweating in the dirt.. Easy call.

I pulled up to the "spot", (behind a Mexican restaurant), gave a head nod, and they came running. :) ... Best $40 I ever spent, he dug out the stump while I studied math.. Win/win

Damn, we need a mexican like that in our area 

This is where the issue lies. With me being a licensed contractor in Maryland, I have to provide unemployment and workers comp insurance to anyone that is working for me one hour or a lifetime. I also have to make sure they have the right documents if the INS shows up. I can be in more trouble than the person working for me can. The only way to get around it is to have another licensed contractor working with you as your helper. I can chance it and nothing could ever happen but that one time could cost me everything.

Wow. That sucks Regopit. I would be the most careful contractor on the planet if that is the case up here. I never thought of the unemployment and workers comp issues. I know in NH the employee has to have a hearing and a new hearing every year or few months but geez that truly sucks. Good to know too, I am going to be taking some classes soon and when I retire in five, I wanted to do some interior woodworking on the side. Talk about screwing the middle class, why bother having a business if you have to deal with so many obstacles!?!?