Guy tried to break into my car today

Javier

Was working today and one of the workers sees this loser tried to break into my car trunk. Didn't get a chance to do anything but luckily the guy scared him off. The guy was trying to play it off like he thought it was his car that looks identical to mine. Yeah right!

That's one of the downsides of having nice tools.

Did he mess up the car at all? Yea that is a problem working in the trades people love to walk off with another persons tools. It your not vigilant and take precautions its so easy for them to do. There are a lot of honest people that work the trades and just want to work, but the trades also seem to attract people with substance abuse problems too.

That reminds me Javier, back in 98, another guy I work with and I brought a bunch of kids to NJ Six Flags because they won the DARE essay projects. I drove all morning and by the time we got there I was so pooped I fell asleep in the back of the van. My friend took the kids to the park and I stayed in the outer parking lot. About an hour later, this freakin' inner city kid breaks into the van. He gets in and sees me, 6'01", 225 with a Glock Model 21 pointed at him. I said "can I help you punk"? All you could see is this kids eyes go completely white. Hahahahaha, 16 years later and I still laugh at that. I let the turd go, probably OD'd by now but what fun.

• Like 1

My uncle works in St. Louis at a drilling company and occasionally that involves going through the ghetto. He keeps him a small handgun on him when he is there at all times. He has had many close calls up there. You never stay stopped for long.

When I was working for the utility I was down in the manhole and my partner jump up into the back of the truck to gab a tool and when he came back he asked if I had the GMI. The GMI is an instrument that we used to monitor the the air. In a matter of seconds some crackhead grab it and took off. Believe or not that thing cost $3,500.00

500_series.jpg

The problem is DR, is that some state don't do a good job of regulating pawn shops. People know people and know how to unload stuff like that. Truth is thought the guy probably got like $10 or 20 bucks for it and had no idea what he was holding on to. Then the guy that buys it makes a HUGE profit. Put that guy in jail. Meanwhile Regopit or some other guy is out huge money in tools which directly affects quality of life.

I keep a few tools in my truck from time to time but there are enough cameras in the school parking lot and I also make sure they are hidden under my coat or behind the seat. I don't think anyone has had anything stolen at school out of their vehicles so far.

I usually work alone too. I got this gig and had to teach this guy how to do flooring. If If I had been alone, yesterday's topic would have been about my tools being stolen.

It was in a small office building near the mainstreet and a residential area. The thief was just a random guy in the area not a worker.

What I don't get was the timing of the day. I unloaded most of my tools in the morning yet this guy tried to break into my trunk later in the afternoon. No tools visible in the seating area, so this guy must have been in the area scoping out the activity. The thief knew exactly where the jackpot was and went straight for it.

How do you even sell something like that? A drill or a saw that's easy an air quality tester don't know think too many people need one!

When I went back to the shop the techs in the interment lab told me that it happens a lot more then you think. They would would scan e-bay and craigslist every day, they also had made contacts with most of the pawn shops around town and would get about 90% back. The pawn shops would have some BS story to hold the guy till the cops would show up. I think the only reason that it work the company would pay them a reward. 

We had one on every truck so it adds up fast 75 to 100 trucks times $3,500 a unit plus spares. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the customer will offer to let me store my tools at the worksite over night so I don't have to load and unload for the next day. I'm like, nah.

I know most mean well but I will only do that if they leave me a deposit of what my tools are worth full price which that ain't ever going to happen

I heard a big crash last night around 0300. My first thought was that it was the Japanese mafia. I figured Makita had sent them because they know the things I've said about them.

Turns out it was just the wind blowing open the side door that wasn't latched good.

Thought they had me there for a minute.

• Like 1

We have a local Lowes that constantly has truck boxes cleaned out......They work in 2 man teams......one follows you into the store while on the cellphone w/his buddy who is in the parking lot cleaning out your truck.  

I always am mindful of "lurkers" in a parking lot......2 guys, 1 truck, "hanging out" in the parking lot....yeah, I will come back later.

Worst thing I ever had stolen was a $4,000 landscape trailer.  I had a guy that was working for me park it in my lot, and lock it up....or so I thought.....he couldnt be bothered with actually locking the lock, he just slid it on & it appeared locked.  The next morning, no trailer....called the cops & they came....they said "yeah last night we had seen a guy driving through town with a trailer with no lights, but didnt get a chance to pull him over" 

Locks + Light + Dogs = much safer place