help purchasing a combo kit

useport80

hey all,

i'm looking to purchase my a combo kit and my two choices have come down to these two. The dewalt brushless(DCK296M2) set seems pretty nice as well and it's cheaper. 

I know this is the Bosch subforum, and i'm semi leaning towards the Bosch set, even tho it's not available at this moment. Both are around $389-400 at home depot. 

Milwaukee M18 Fuel 18-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill/Impact Driver XC Combo Kit
Model # 2797-22

Bosch 18-Volt 2-Tool EC Brushless L-Boxx Kit 
Model # CLPK250-181L

what are your thoughts? I have about 1-2 months research time before I will actually purchase. Hopefully the Bosch set is available for purchase in 1-2 months. 

thanks all!

I'd offer this up. The Bosch tool line is a phenomenal tool line with a great line up of 18v tools available. They make high quality tools. I own the Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver and it is phenomenal. I am a Milwaukee guy but given the time the tools were coming out and availability I went with Milwaukee. Very happy with my decision. I would add, if the lineup of Bosch tools was readily available at the time, I would be the owner of a bunch of Bosch tools. Either way you cannot go wrong!

Red brings up a great point. If you think from a quality stand point you canno go wrong. Bosch is really a great professional brand but when you throw in the additional tools like the Sawzall, that is really something that should sway you. Brushless drill and impact PLUS a Sawzall!! And it's available now.

The dewalt kit and the Milwaukee will give you about the same run time with dewalt at a slight edge although Milwaukee will perform faster and more power and the Milwaukee include a 3 speed impact which is great as it's more versatile and can do precision work. Dewalt has a 3 speed impact but it's not included in the kit you mentioned.

Don't know much about Bosch but I have a feeling it will spank the other brands when it comes to run time.

OK I just took a look at the Bosch combo. The impact is very nice. The drill is powerful but it doesn't compare apples to apples with the other two combo kits drills. On one hand you have a Bosch compact hammer drill and on the other you have heavy duty hammer drills.

If you only need a compact hammer drill then the Bosch is a great choice

OK I just took a look at the Bosch combo. The impact is very nice. The drill is powerful but it doesn't compare apples to apples with the other two combo kits drills. On one hand you have a Bosch compact hammer drill and on the other you have heavy duty hammer drills.

If you only need a compact hammer drill then the Bosch is a great choice

oh really? i had no idea. what spec/stats makes the milwaukee drill better than the bosch drill? i'm not refuting or arguing, just trying to learn. 

Bosch is great but what sold me on Milwaukee m18 was the fuel hammer drill, them having the best cordless 18v circular saw on the market and the upcoming stampede of brushless power tools. I say upcoming because the recently released fuel products hadn't come out yet when I bought my m18 gear. That and my m12 stuff really impressed me, and Milwaukee at the time had all the cool extras like the power source, heated jackets. I know that doesn't matter now since most brands have caught up by now or will soon. But i don't have any regrets.

oh really? i had no idea. what spec/stats makes the milwaukee drill better than the bosch drill? i'm not refuting or arguing, just trying to learn.

over at toolguyd the Bosch is rated at max 442 in/lbs torque

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-ec-brushless-drills-drivers/

which is average for a compact drill. The dewalt and Milwaukee top out at 708 and 725 respectively

It doesn't necessarily mean the dewalt and Milwaukee are better. Yes they're more powerful but they are bigger and heavier. Sometimes a compact lightweight drill is all you need.

Also forgot to mention the Bosch kit comes with 2.0 batteries and the dewalt and Milwaukee combos come with 4.0's. Nothing wrong with the smaller batteries since the tools are brushless and the batteries are smaller in size but honestly the home depot price is just too expensive for the smaller batteries.

I know the lboxx adds to the appeal and value but for the price the battery capacity is a bit small. I think for the price it should include 4.0 batteries even if they had to ditch the lboxx

yep the equivalent of that Bosch kit in Dewalt is the DCK281D2 (2Ah batts and compact drill). 

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK281D2-Lithium-Brushless-Compact/dp/B00CSDIMXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1392763549&sr=1-1&keywords=dewalt+dck281d2

I've owned all those Bosch (non brushless versions though) and Dewalt tools and batteries. Awesome compact drills (Bosch is slightly more powerful, Dewalt has metal chuck). Impact drivers are different, Dewalt more powerful, Bosch more versatile. I don't think the brushless Bosch tools will change much but runtime, but could be wrong.

At those prices, I think the Dewalt compact kit is a shoe-in. If you want a full sized hammer drill and 4.0ah batteries, pretty hard to go past the Milwaukee in my mind. (Though Dewalt and Bosch also make great full sizes drills).

In my mind, you can go wrong with any of those brands, they are all fantastic. I would take into account the other tools you may add to them. If you might want to grab a grinder, circ saw etc, get 4.0ah batteries. Milwaukee probably makes the best grinder/circ saw/recip saw (with prices to match). Dewalt has the nailgun and very good recip. Bosch makes great grinder/jigsaw/SDS etc...

• Like 2

You really can't go wrong with any of the combo kits!  Are you in a trade?  If you are I would go with the Milwaukee kit, because the Milwaukee drill has a metal chuck compared to a plastic one.  Over time in my opinion, the plastic part of the chuck will wear down or break from dropping it.  I would think Bosch would release a brushless version of there HDH181 Brute Tough Hammer Drill/Driver in the coming year, but it seem like you don't have time to wait.

Here is the link to a different kit with the 4.0 batteries and the HDH Hammer Drill:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-with-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Impact-Driver-2-4-0Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-CLPK221-181/204583772?N=5yc1vZc2ecZ9uZ1z0ulnw#specifications

oh wow. i guess im shocked that the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 in. Hammer Drill/Driver (2604-20) is that much better than the Bosch HDS182 Compact Tough 1/2 in. Hammer Drill Driver. how does bosch release a 'new' drill/driver that under performs what is currently available on the market? since bosch is the last to the scene, they should release a better product.

so essentially, the milwaukee drill/driver is better, but bosch's impact driver is better? price and free saw is pretty negligible.

i am not in a trade, this will be just for home use. back story, my sister and my brother-in-law just bought a new single family home, and they actually have no tools. they are using all my junk lol. so my sister asked me to do research on a cordless set for her husband. so the item i purchase will be for them. tho i do intend on 'borrowing' it until i get my own. 

tasks that i KNOW that we'll be doing:

1. putting a large deck add-on together

2. large lattice fence

3. i will be setting up a home gym in my garage, and will be bolting my power rack to the concrete. thus far, i will need to drill a hole 3/8" into concrete. then drive in a 3" concrete anchor. (http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-hd-concrete-anchors.php) (wfs link). I might try using a tapcon(just learning about them and if they are a viable replacement)

at this point, i'm leaning towards the milwaukee set after all of the great advice you guys have provided. initially i was a big dewalt fan, then a bosch fan, now a milwaukee fan haha.

I wouldn't say that the Bosch under performs in relation to the Milwaukee, rather it is a function of this particular Bosch model being a "lighter" duty model while the 2604 is a more heavy duty model. As WIElectrian mentioned, Bosch has a heavier duty HDH181, but they haven't updated it with a brushless version yet.

If you are looking towards the Milwaukee because of the increased torque, you might also look at this Dewalt combo: http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-XR-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK296M2/204678759?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-204678759&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=204678759&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=298346236

The impact is only a single speed, but I like the light placement on the drill better along with the adjustability of the side handle as compared to the Milwaukee. Dan & Eric did a nice head to head comparison between the two drills on their YouTube channel that you might want to check out.

hey rob,

thanks for the reply. the dewalt set you linked is the same one i referenced in my original post. I like the DCK296M2 as well. it was my 'default' combo kit to purchase until i learned of the other quality brands.

i have seendan and eric's youtube comparison, and it seems that they like the dewalt hammer drill and impact drivers. probably one of the biggest reasons why i was going to buy the 'newer' renditions of those drivers which would be the DCK296M2 kit.

actually lowes has the DCK296M2 for $20 less than home depot, which also made it very enticing. the more research i do, it seems like people bash on dewalt quality and praise milwaukee and bosch. so i started leaning away from the dewalt set. 

i am curious to see if bosch will release a new brushless heavy duty drill driver.

The Bosch hammer drill isn't under powered, it's actually right in line with comparable dewalt and Milwaukee compact drills. That goes back to my earlier comment about them being a apples and oranges comparison. Bosch should be coming out soon with a brute brushless drill that should compete with the brushless dewalt and Milwaukee heavy duty models. But Bosch does have a heavy duty hammer drill out now but not brushless.

For what you said these power tools will be used for, either choice will do the job fine including the Bosch.

Dewalt are certainly one of those brands that attract love or hate attention for some reason.

Any of the brands will do just fine. I personally lean toward getting the premium size drill for masonry drilling. If you can just borrow a hammer drill for that one application, the more compact drills are much lighter and smaller (easier to use  but with plenty of power for timber applications).

Here's my take (though other might disagree), and its just an approximation:

Large drill: FUEL and Dewalt 995 a little better than Bosch (but Bosch doesn't have brushless out there yet)

Compact Drill: Bosch and Dewalt a little better than Milwaukee (size and weight)

Impact Drivers: Milwaukee and Dewalt brushless drivers are more powerful and compact, Bosch has the hybrid functionality.

For reference, I have the Bosch and Dewalt platforms, and after trying both, my drills and drivers are in Dewalt.

man dwain just jacked me up!. i guess dewalt is back in the running. until bosch releases their new heavy duty brushless, it'll be milwaukee or dewalt. 

lowes has the dewalt DCK296M2 for $350($20 cheaper than home depot), but doesn't have a hard case like milwaukee set.

home depot has the milwaukee set for $400 but comes with a saw and a hard case. gahhhhhh

is the saw worth $50, im clueless about saws ?