I guess TIA won the war of tool review videos on Youtube.

DR99

Eric and Dan work their ass off. People don't realize the amount of time invested in reviewing tools. It takes hours to do a video by the time you stage everything, shoot the video, edit and caption it, etc. you can easily have 10 hours invested in a single video. Not to mention the thousands of dollars of audio/video equipment required. Even writing a blog review takes hours if you're thorough with it. Writing, research, photos, etc.

• Like 2

I know what you mean Conductor it's no joke writing a tool review. I know from personal experience now I can't imagine doing videos on a daily basis. I was just surprised by the general lack of updates now by sites that were fairly active before. I wonder if those sites only review tools from certain companies now. I mean Dan and Eric review everything from a caulk gun to safety glasses. Other places don't even touch those kinds of tools for the most part.

A very good friend of ours son is the owner of DCP productions here in Maryland. They do a lot of the GEICO TV spots. I have been lucky to have done some set work for them and I was shocked that amount of time it takes to make a 30 sec. spot. Just the little bit of time that I have seen tells me that Eric and Dan put a tremendous amount of time it to what they do. So my hats off to them. 

If you would like to see some of the work and behind the seen video check out DCP http://www.dcpproductions.net/work/

When you take the time to read the reviews, watch the videos, have group discussions etc. you really get a feel for how great Eric and Dan and the rest of the staff do. I was a contributor and member at Tool Select and when I went on my nearly year long hiatus I discovered the site was gone. I liked Tool Select and met several great guys and gals on the site. That site allowed me to find TiA and become a member here. I don't belong to Facebook or social sites per say but I have met a lot of people I genuinely care about through this site. I belong to another site and have seen some bashing from people in regards to TiA (don't worry, I " " corrected " " those people and will continue to do so. Eric and Dan and you all too, do a great job. I have asked questions on TiA and you guys have always responded in kind. TiA is my home for support and direction as well as friendly banter. Period.

The problem is that you need views in the millions range to make some real money. Most tool reviews are in the tens or hundreds of thousands range and that isn't real money.

I wonder what happened to tool select. I remember they had a website, now if your Google them it redirects you to YouTube

Tool Select was a high dollar operation. Lots of advertising money behind it. Accordingly, Tool Select was essentially a commercial. Very little critique or objective material. Manufacturers are being very conservative with their advertising money right now and as the money dried up, Tool Select folded.

People like to see reviews that highlight a tools strengths and weaknesses. If you don't offer the bad with the good you aren't going to garner the trust you need to be successful. TIA is the most honest review blog out there IMO and the following seems to be very loyal.

I think that is true. The members seem to be completely true to TiA and it shows in the forum. Tool Select had a decent forum with some really good members that contributed regularly and some of them have come over here and continue to do the same. The members that I don't see here, I miss hearing from. Some really skilled tradesman and regular Joe's like me too that know quite a bit.That's good, it's good to see regulars contributing there knowledge on our forum here. When I found out about TiA a couple of years ago I was really stoked and have had some great help along the way by the members here and I like that. Additionally the plus is the video reviews that Eric and Dan put out high quality and funny as heck.

I don’t know if any of you remember what it was like before the WWW. I would log on to message and bulletin boards. It was all text no pictures. Their where tons of wood working boards and some tool boards, then the internet hit everyone that had a board try to make the jump. A lot of them disappeared some made it. At first, the ones that made the transition did okay but with more and more people coming in looking for updates, things of interest they could not, keep up and they faded away also. Then you tube came along some of the woodworking sites took that leap also and did okay. Now the tool guys started out okay then they started to turn into infomercials.

I started to watch TIA back around 2009 just two guys Eric and Mike in their garage telling you what they thought was their honest opinion and it always felt that way when you watched. I have watched over the years and Eric and Dan have turned it into two guys in their garage give us their honest opinion and it still feels the same as it did when they started out.

I was always a lurker on the forums joined in 2013 and just started to get active. There is a great group of people here willing to help and share info. That is what makes this this place so good to come to. I think that we owe Eric and Dan a lot.

I'll be honest I can't really remember how I got Involved watching TIA's videos now. I might have been just searching on youtube for a power tool review at the time I was looking at the new Dewalt 20v lineup and I did end up buying it, but returned it because it was going to take awhile for Dewalt to add more tools, So I jumped over to Milwaukee when they launched the new M18 Fuel stuff, and became a big Milwaukee fan. I also tried the Ridgid X4 kit too, but the same problem lack of additional tools to expand to like an angle grinder or impact wrench.

Cordless tools have came a long way from 10 years ago. My grandpa is absolute bkown away at what they can do. Automotive cordless tools are better than ever now. The air hose is one of the biggest pains there are. My dad has a snap on cordless 1/2 impact that he bought used and it can take a wheel off of a school bus. Honestly the only thing a person would need a compressor for now is to air up tires.