First Ryobi tools...

Moze

The anniversary gifts are starting to trickle in from the wifey. A good chance to put in requests for tools I wouldn't normally buy.

The fan is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Very well built, ran for 3 hours on high using the smaller lithium battery.

Haven't tried the cordless miter saw out yet, although I did turn it on and it doesn't feel or sound cheap at all. It seems to be really well made. Mainly wanted it for quicky jobs that would save me from having to pull the larger, electric miter saw off the shelf. Going to replace the blade with a better one. It'll be interesting to see how well it cuts, how square it is, etc.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Tell your wife you'll need one or two more to catch up to me...

12437158625_def6b990f1_b.jpg

The miter saw looks nice, I have the 8 1/4" "blue" miter saw and love it. Every couple of years I have to take it apart and smooth the slide areas out and grease them, and then make sure it's all square, but it's been working great for me since I bought it...which was back in '02 I think. Haven't had a Ryobi tool fail me yet, except for the old "blue" leaf blower. Plastic flywheel broke and I didn't want to replace it with another plastic one so I ditched the whole unit. But, other than that I'm still using the tools I bought way back when without any problems.
  • Like 1

I doubt I'll ever own that many Ryobi tools but that's a nice collection you have. My yellow tools are bright enough - I can't have that many fluorescent green tools. :)

I have the Black & Decker 36v yard tools and am really happy with them. I do see Ryobi has a bunch though too in the One + line. I might pick up the pole saw soon.

The table on the miter saw already drags too much for my liking. I need to see if there's any adjustment. I'll probably cut up a few pieces of scrap today just to see how it does.

Hey DY, does the laser look like it lines up alright with the cut line? I am going to bite the bullet and buy the Ryobi Airstrike but so far, other than my Ryobi router table (which actually is pretty nice with a huge work area) my shop is devoid of Ryobi tools.

Ryobi serves a purpose. When the Drill/Driver Impact Combo was $99 bucks or even $129 we couldnt even keep it in stock. Ryobi serves a purpose and very very rarely ever had any negative feedback about ryobi other than the batteries. But lets be honest with ourselves, thats the problem with all powertools.

Hey DY, does the laser look like it lines up alright with the cut line? I am going to bite the bullet and buy the Ryobi Airstrike but so far, other than my Ryobi router table (which actually is pretty nice with a huge work area) my shop is devoid of Ryobi tools.

It lines up dead on the middle of the blade/cut. The manual does say it's adjustable if you want to leave the mark on the left or right though.

Ryobi serves a purpose. When the Drill/Driver Impact Combo was $99 bucks or even $129 we couldnt even keep it in stock. Ryobi serves a purpose and very very rarely ever had any negative feedback about ryobi other than the batteries. But lets be honest with ourselves, thats the problem with all powertools.

I'm going to be honest....the thing sounds like a beast. But when I was making test cuts yesterday, it kept not wanting to come on. I'd depress the safety trigger, depress the main trigger and it would kick on for a millsecond and then kick off. It did this repeatedly. I took the handle apart to see if there was a short, checked all the wires, everything looked fine. Put it back together and it didn't do it again after that. A little frustrating, but it seems to be fixed. So maybe a wire was pinched or some such thing. I have no idea. Wifey got it off eBay, but I don't want to have to pay the cost to return it, yada yada. So hopefully the issue doesn't pop up again down the road. I really like the saw, but for a few minutes yesterday, I was ready to run it over with my truck.

Just a thought. If most saws draw 15 amps at 120 volts who knows what they draw 18 volts. The smaller battery might not discharge at a quick enough rate to get it spinning/started. Electric motors can draw six times more than what they are rated at to get moving. With the high capacity battery you have twice the cells doing half the work.

Yea I was going to ask how you found the cordless miter saw it only pops up at certain times for sale at Home Depot. I have one and its just super handy to have around to do small jobs like small casing or cutting a small piece of wood for something. It's been awhile sense the last time I used mine I can't remember if a had an issue with the slim pack batteries causing problems.

My miter saw is finicky sometimes with the Lithium batteries, every once in a while it cuts off, like the battery is dead but it's not. It's not enough of an annoyance to bother worrying about it. I just figured maybe I was going too fast, some of the wood I cut is pretty tough and I'm a little heavy-handed with the pressure.

That 7 1/4" is probably a great saw for trim, it's so small it'd be a dream to just carry it around room-to-room and plop it down to make cuts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The overload protection on the Ryobi Miter saw is very sensitive. I know when I used it just recently I had it kick in a few times if I tried to hurry a cut. My suggestion to save your sanity is to just let the saw do the work, and also pick up a better blade. A good 7 1/4" inch blade isn't expensive at all, My personal favorite brand is the Diablo by Freud. Any other premium brand will work just as well over the stock Ryobi blade. I will say I wish it did have a slide function for added cut capacity.I love that mean green Ryobi timber eating machine

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...