When did kobalt get a 12v platform

NicholasShetley

I was at lowes today and I saw that they had a 12v drill, impact, and jigsaw kit for sale. The drill resembled the dewalt somewhat and the jigsaw resembled the craftsman Nextec one. The grip felt fine on them to me. I didn't see any specs on them. Am I the only one who has noticed them?

Toolguyd mentioned it just around Christmas time but to be quite honest, and I do not have any first hand experience with Kobalt tools, the reviews on the Kobalt line haven't been all that great. The saw, to me, looks just like the one offered by Rockwell. It is a combination type jig / Recip looking thing. Interesting because Lowes seems to be keeping to Kobalt, Hitachi (great cordless line), Rockwell and Dewalt. I read on Bosch' forum that Lowes lost Bosch and HD is in the process of carrying the line.

Losing Bosch was a bad thing for them. They never used to be too popular in the cordless market in my neck of the woods but clearly they are an industry leader and HD will end up getting a pretty profitable market with Bosch in their lineups. I will say that the PC Impactor that TiA gave me last year is a pretty slick tool and although it might not be a high end tool, it will keep up with the other 18v no problem but who knows if the line will ever take off. Generally speaking nowadays, my visit to Lowes is for finished lumber as it is better than HD's although I prefer local suppliers.

• 1 month later...

I bought this 12v kit a few weeks ago, couldn't be happier with it. 

I'm not a pro, just like to tinker with things in the garage and around the house, so it works well for me.  I bought the 18v Lithium Ion kit a couple years ago, the one that came with the drill, sawzall, circular saw and light; it has been flawless too, so I figured I'd give the 12v kit a try.  For 150.00 I didn't think I could go wrong.