THE NEW MAKITA BHP454 vs. THE NEW DEWALT DCD950

kanxrus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What is fastners? Is that screws to fix gipsy for example? Why I ask is because you say 3 gear is only for fastners.

However, I just bought a DCD920 ( in europe they call DCD 950 for DCD 925 and mine is the one without hammer mode, so thats why it is called DCD 920.) Do not know what the DCD 950 without hammer mode is called in the states.

Any way, I had to do some test So I took a "flatbore" by the name Irwin bluegrove 4x. Size 20 mm. In the 3 gear I coluld bore 83 holes through 5.5 centimeters wood.  Think you call it for 2" in the states. The extra 0.5 mm was because it was not "sanded" or what you call it. Rough surface still on it.

On the second gear I was able to bore 90 holes so the difference was only 7 holes. However, it was much nicer to bore in the higher speed in 3 gear and each hole was quicker done. So with "flatbore" I think 3 gear is very nice.

Have you tried the blue bore TSF? I´m thinking about to buy and test them. I´m working as a electrician and wenn working with installations in new build houses I do a lot of holes in 70 mm for outlets and light switches. The material is often one layer of gipsy and one layer of "plyboard or chipboard.

Up tp present day I´ve only used a special kind of hole saw only made to bore in wood and gypsy, not metal. It is much thinner compared to a holesaw that you can bore in metal with. How ever, I think traditional holesaw made for cutting in metal is very bad to cut in wood becasuse they get very warm.

But the new blue bore TSF seems very interesting. Very quick and also able to cut in a lot of different materials.

http://www.amazon.com/TSF12-Self-Feed-Hole-outperforms-self-feed/dp/B002JQ12GE

Or do you have some good tip for me what to use wenn making holes up to 80 mm in chipboard and plyboard?

I just saw that a DCD 920 is the 14.4 volt in the states and the DCD 940 is the 18 volt model. The ones without hammer mode. Strange that dewalt use DCD920 in europe for the 18 volt model and DCD 930 for the 14.4 volt model.

• 3 weeks later...

could the reason why the dewalt did better than the makita be because the dewalt has a 3 speed?

the makita only has a two speed while the dewalt has a three speed, giving you a faster top gear, and a slower first gear.

I think the reason why makita went away with the 3 speed bhp451 was because the transmission was prone to failure due to the plastic shifter ring...hammerdrilling in 3rd gear would put a lot of stress on the ring, so they simply ditched the 3 speed and gave it a two speed...which sucks because I want a heavy duty 3 speed to go with my set of makita cordless tools. >:(

Dewalt is 0-500 RPM's in 1st gear, 0-1250 in 2nd, and 0-2000 in 3rd. While Makita is 0-400 RPM's in 1st gear, and 0-1700 in 2nd gear. So in this test that does not apply to your question. Makita did away with the 3 speed because it is a Dewalt patent. Hence the reason why you do not see 3 speed transmissions on any other brand, with the exception of Hilti.

• 3 weeks later...

Dewalt is 0-500 RPM's in 1st gear, 0-1250 in 2nd, and 0-2000 in 3rd. While Makita is 0-400 RPM's in 1st gear, and 0-1700 in 2nd gear. So in this test that does not apply to your question. Makita did away with the 3 speed because it is a Dewalt patent. Hence the reason why you do not see 3 speed transmissions on any other brand, with the exception of Hilti.

Are you talking about only in a hammer drill? Makita still makes the BDF451 that has a 3 speed transmission, but it's just a drill driver.

Are you talking about only in a hammer drill? Makita still makes the BDF451 that has a 3 speed transmission, but it's just a drill driver.

That is true but the 451 have 300 rpm in first gear and 600 rpm in second gear so in my opinion that gearbox is just a joke. 300 rpm is to slow for anything practical and the extra 300 rpm in second gear is to less to make a sense. And the 1700 rpm is also not as good as 2000 rpm for smaller spadebits. Do not understand how makitas engineers where thinking wenn they engineered the 451 drill.

• 7 months later...

...If Dewalt jumps on board with PTI , then you might start seeing public torque specs for Dewalt drills...

When Dewalt came out with their own UWO standard, they should have kept the industry standard of in/lbs torque too.  But when they totally drop the in/lbs for the UWO rating, no one has a clue on how they measure up to the competition.

For example (how can you compare these?);

Drill A is 500 in/lbs

Drill B is 450 in/lbs

Drill C is 525 in/lbs

Drill D is 480 in/lbs

Drill E is 380 UWO

My mistake if I posted this in the wrong area....

Also, two of the many good HD out there, the 950 and the 454 are two I was looking at. Your test shows me that they are both good. If tests show that that was a 50% diff or more, that would be a concern. Being that they are both capable, then other criteria such as weight and feel, features like LED's, belt clips, other tools offered with the same batteris..etc, also make a diff. The battery  technolgy is also important, hence my concern about how good the XRP nicads are. Last, this kit has the 951, that I saw on Dewalt's site is almost like the 950...how close or different is it?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got a Makita 454 as a gift, thought I'd try it out against my 970 under actual work conditions and have not compared spec's beforehand. It's been a week and impressions overall IMO I slightly prefer the Makita over the Dewalt, simply for balance,feel,weight and chuck. but I do feel the Dewalt has slightly more torque and spins faster. Nonetheless both great drills.

The Rohm, although more robust, masonry bits would work loose on a few occasions, The hand tightning distance on the Jacobs is a tad farther than on the Rohm,dunno if that's the reason. Also looking at your drill with batt weight spec's, I was kinda shocked that the 970 was only 7oz's heavier, The 454 feels considerably lighter in the hand,guess due to tool balance. In the end, they are both great drills, not one better than the other,just different.

• 2 months later...

I've had the Makita BHP 451 and the Dewalt DC725 (compact hammer drill). The Dewalt outperforms the Makita. Against manufacturer's recommendations I routinely use 7/8" and 1" ship augers in my cordless drills. Even my old Dewalt 925 with a 1" ship auger drilled through a double top plate where my newer Makita couldn't. The 725 does it as well. The cordless Makitas are gone and the Dewalts are still working away.

• 2 months later...

never buy makita drill they transmission suck if you look the picture of both dewalt is the biggest winner all makita transmission broke after few use you will lose 3 speed and the 2 speed after few use.I got alot of expemple of broken gear 2 and 3 on makita.The best to show you how they makita suck is i was workin last year whit some who buy the makita kit whit drill and impact i was suprise the drill was not in the case so i ask im why he saay i was trying to put a small screw and boom drill transmission broken the drill  was dead.Other exple at school we got five makita drill 3 of them the 2 and 3 speed was brokken only the first speed work.so mconclusion makita drill durability worst on market.

• 1 month later...

I would like to know which 18v drill from Dewalt is the most powerful. I ask because here in Jamaica, we got mainly concrete walls. Some are prefabricated and extremely tough. Or is the 36v much stronger than the 18v in terms of hammering. And can 20v batteries work in the 18v drills?

If you are drilling through concrete only, a hammerdrill would not be a recommendation. I would choose a dedicated Rotary Hammer. Dewalt Makes an 18v DC212KA Rotary Hammer. They also have a 20v Max version, 24v version, and a 36v version.

Currently the DC925 is Dewalt's most powerful 18v Drill/hammerdrill combo at 510 (480) UWO. The new 20v max will be the most powerful once it's launched, at 535 UWO.

[glow=red,2,300]Hilti TE 7-A[/glow]Dimensions (LxWxH)  401 x 111 x 217 mm

Rated input  720 W 

Voltage  36 V  3.9-Ah

Weight according EPTA-Procedure 01/2003  4.9 kg 

Width  111 mm 

Depth Gauge  Yes 

Triaxial vibration value for hammer drilling into concrete (ah,HD)  11 m/s² 

Optimum drilling diameter in concrete  5 mm - 20 mm 

Battery Type  Li-Ion 

Single Impact Energy - setting I  2.6 J 

Triaxial vibration for chiseling in concrete  9 m/s² 

Hammering Speed Under Load - Setting I  4000 impacts/minute 

Maximum drilling diameter range for hammer drill bits - range  5 mm - 24 mm 

Chuck Style  TE-C 

Speed 1 No Load  740 rpm 

Drilling Modes  Hammer drilling Drilling Chiseling Chisel setting 

Reverse Switch  Yes 

Number of Gears  1

Dewalt

Voltage 36V 2.2Ah

Concrete Optimum 5/32 - 5/8"

Impact Energy 1.9ft-lbs

Vibration Measurement 8.5 m/s2

No Load Speed 0-1,150rpm

Beats/Min 0-4,400bpm

Chipping Yes

Vibration Control Yes

Tool Length 10.5"

Tool Weight 12.4lbs

Hilti more power 2.6 J Dewalt only 1.9 j

More Ah 3.9 hilti vs 2.2 dewalt

So more ah = More hole or time for Chisel.

Archived