Wiha has entered the "accessory case" game!

Altan

I agree, this doesn't really do anything that existing cases won't.  Here in the States, Bosch was selling their modular accessory cases at Lowe's.  You could buy pre-filled cases or an empty case and add various bit sets already in their holders.  I'm unsure of whether or not Lowe's still stocks them.

I have (mostly DeWalt, with a few Milwaukee, Bosch, and Makita) cases seemingly everywhere, with some basically brand new and others containing a handful of mismatched and well-used bits.  

• Like 1

I agree, Wiha biggest competitor is Wera (also out of Germany). But here in the U.S. I don't think they have a chance being so late into the bit / case making with Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, etc

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RT29 said:

I agree, Wiha biggest competitor is Wera (also out of Germany). But here in the U.S. I don't think they have a chance being so late into the bit / case making with Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, etc

Wiha moved their bit production to Vietnam mostly but Wera moved it to Czech Rep. which is hundred times better than Vietnam from my point of view. I like Wera quality a lot what I dont like about Wera is that their bits have shorter hex shank like Apex bits, shorter than 1" but Wiha keeps it 25mm (1") in general. 

17 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I agree, this doesn't really do anything that existing cases won't.  Here in the States, Bosch was selling their modular accessory cases at Lowe's.  You could buy pre-filled cases or an empty case and add various bit sets already in their holders.  I'm unsure of whether or not Lowe's still stocks them.

I have (mostly DeWalt, with a few Milwaukee, Bosch, and Makita) cases seemingly everywhere, with some basically brand new and others containing a handful of mismatched and well-used bits.  

Bosch was the first brand started to sell those cases as empty, then Makita started with their battery shaped bit cases and then DeWALT. Festool is also trying to introduce something in that category but so far they are not successful. 

On 4/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, Altan said:

Bosch was the first brand started to sell those cases as empty, then Makita started with their battery shaped bit cases and then DeWALT. Festool is also trying to introduce something in that category but so far they are not successful. 

The thing with Festool is it is integrated into their systainer lids. Something Festool has had since even the second gen systainers. Not sure if the version for the third gen systainers are any different than the second gen systainers. I feel while it may not be a modular bit case like what DeWALT, Flex, and others have introduced, the attic syatainer is more unique than just a bit case. It isn't that it isn't successful, it just serves a somewhat different customer base. If you're the type who buys a Festool drill, then you're probably going to want the Festool attic systainer to store bits. If you're the type to buy just a regular bit case, are you also going to be buying a Festool drill?

14 hours ago, Jronman said:

The thing with Festool is it is integrated into their systainer lids. Something Festool has had since even the second gen systainers. Not sure if the version for the third gen systainers are any different than the second gen systainers. I feel while it may not be a modular bit case like what DeWALT, Flex, and others have introduced, the attic syatainer is more unique than just a bit case. It isn't that it isn't successful, it just serves a somewhat different customer base. If you're the type who buys a Festool drill, then you're probably going to want the Festool attic systainer to store bits. If you're the type to buy just a regular bit case, are you also going to be buying a Festool drill?

Yes, I would buy a Festool drill but currently I am thinking of a Fein drill or a Mafell one as Fein new tools use Bosch batteries and Mafell tools use Metabo batteries. I don't like to get stuck within a brand with limited tools (Festool), Festool has not introduced a cordless router or planer, yet. They are a wood working tool brand at first and I would expect them to make a cordless router and planer first then a cordless reciprocating saw! Fein is amazing in quality and they make very solid tools, they make most of their tools in Germany, Festool started to make some of their tools in Czech Rep. But if one day I get a Festool drill I would not use their Centrotec accessories, I would use a Snappy adapter to use normal Western E6.3 1/4" hex shank bits as Festool is limited in hex shank accessories and they are too overpriced. 

14 hours ago, Jronman said:

Here are some photos of Festool accessory sets and they are not integrated into Systainer lids. I have also seen those you mentioned. 

Festool Screwdriver Bit Set.jpg

7 hours ago, Altan said:

Here are some photos of Festool accessory sets and they are not integrated into Systainer lids. I have also seen those you mentioned. 

Festool Screwdriver Bit Set.jpg

oh yeah I have seen these I think. Makes more sense now. Honestly I would buy the micro systainer bit cases over many of the other options since many other options are not modular. They aren't the best option but better than many. The Festool super fan is gonna buy this regardless. The average Festool user who has a festool drill and who also has to pick between these micro systainer bit cases or the attic systainer inserts, I think the majority are going to go the attic systainer inserts. In some cases the drill already comes with an attic systainer, and it just makes more sense to buy the insert that fits into the attic than buying a completely separate box. I like flex's implementation of modular bit cases. they fit together and also fit onto the stack pack. I recently saw Milwaukee is coming out with modular bit inserts. I don't recall if they are cases or not but I know they are designed to fit into packout baxes.

• Like 1