(COMPACT SERIES PART 5) CRAFTSMAN COMPAT C3 vs DEWALT COMPACT DC720

kanxrus

THIS IS PART V OF A SERIES OF TESTS BETWEEN THE DEWALT DC720 vs OTHER COMPACT DRILL IN IT'S CLASS.

THIS IS A TEST BETWEEN THE NEW CRAFTSMAN COMPACT C3 19.2v  vs THE DEWALT COMPACT DC720KA! CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING - PART I PART II PART III PART IV  IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THEM YET.

THIS TEST WILL COMPARE INTERNAL SPECS, DEMO TESTING, WEIGHT, FEATURES AND BENEFITS!

CraftsmanC3_A.jpg

WEIGHT:

CraftsmanC3_2.jpg

DC720weight2.jpg

130156001_1.jpg

DC720bat.jpg

INTERNAL SPECS:

CraftsmanC3_3.jpg

DC720aa.jpg

CraftsmanC3_4.jpg

DC720f.jpg

CraftsmanC3_15.jpg

DC720Brushes.jpg

CraftsmanC3_11.jpg

DC720e.jpg

CraftsmanC3_14.jpg

DC720c.jpg

CraftsmanC3_26.jpg

FEATURES AND BENEFITS:

CraftsmanC3_18.jpg

CraftsmanC3_19.jpg

CraftsmanC3_25.jpg

DC720g.jpg

CraftsmanC3_20.jpg

CraftsmanC3_21.jpg

CraftsmanC3_22.jpg

CraftsmanC3_23.jpg

ONTO THE TEST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lDX7JBF-Q#noexternalembed##

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l-D-TDTS24#noexternalembed##

In TEST I, we used a piece of 2x12 fir. We also used a 1" spade bit. The test was conducted to see how many holes could be drilled on a single charge, in 2nd gear. We wanted to push these little compacts to see how efficient they use energy under heavy draws.

The Craftsman C3 drilled 21.5 holes. The Dewalt DC720KA Drilled 36 holes.

DEWALT DC720 Drilled 36 Holes, or 21 holes per Ah. (Compact DC9099 1.7Ah)

Craftsman C3 Drilled 21.5 Holes, or 16.5 holes per Ah. (19.2v DieHard 130156001 1.3Ah)

During Test II & III, we wanted to test heavy torque applications. Test II was driving a 6"x3/8" Lag into a 4x6 piece of Fir. Test III was driving a 2", & also a 2 9/16" self feed bit. The Craftsman C3 was able to put down the 2" self feed bit, but not the 2 9/16" self feed bit. The Dewalt DC720KA completed the tests. (lithium or NiCd)

For more detailed photo's on both drills... HAVE A LOOK INSIDE!  Craftsman C3 DEWALT DC720KA

I don't think the battery technology changes the torque in the drill, and the craftsman sure does look like a ryobi drill even down to pushing the button to check the battery life.

Good testing, love these head to head competitions.

Ever try any corded stuff? would love to see how some of the new Dewalt 1/2" drills hold up in terms of speed and performance.

The battery chemistry does play a small role in terms of energy density, but tool effeciency really plays the biggest role. If I were to make assumptions on tools being similiar to other tools I'd say the motor in the Craftsman C3 moslty resembles the Bosch compact. The transmission is identical almost part for part to the Hitachi Compact. Bosch and Craftsman both share the same Samsung cells in there batteries. Weird considering TTI makes most, if not all of craftsman power tools.

I might do some corded stuff later down the road. The forum is always open for anyone who want's to submit there own tests, or reviews.

Archived