A LOOK INSIDE DEWALT'S DC9180 XRP LITHIUM ION BATTERY.

kanxrus

• 1 year later...

But what is the pros and cons about this change? Is it only going to be sony cells now or will it be from both sony and a123? Is there any different capacity? Dewalt talked so much about how good and superior the a123 cells where compared to other cell manufactures but now they have sony instead? What to belive?

Both Sony and A123 use a lithium phosphate chemistry, and both are very good batteries.  I won't speculate on the reasons for the switch, but the Sony cells are proven with their use in the compact lithium since their launch, so I am not worried about it.

• 2 months later...

I have 4 of these 18V batteries.  I also have 4 of the yellow chargers.  I just bought these batteries (new), but are stamped as 2010.  I left the batteries in the chargers for 2 days straight.  Then pulled all 4 of them to get the voltage with a high quality digital meter.  They all read 19.9V exactly.  I do realize they were fresh off the charger & not under a load.

Without opening the packs, how would I know if mine has the Sony or A123 cells inside?

Maybe the packs with 'NANO' on the side has the A123 cells & the newer packs with 'XRP' is the Sony?

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 of these 18V batteries.  I also have 4 of the yellow chargers.  I just bought these batteries (new), but are stamped as 2010.  I left the batteries in the chargers for 2 days straight.  Then pulled all 4 of them to get the voltage with a high quality digital meter.  They all read 19.9V exactly.  I do realize they were fresh off the charger & not under a load.

Without opening the packs, how would I know if mine has the Sony or A123 cells inside?

Maybe the packs with 'NANO' on the side has the A123 cells & the newer packs with 'XRP' is the Sony?

The labels with "Nano" are mainly A123 cells, the "XRP" are either both and the only way to tell is the part number on the battery and the serial number

I noticed there is 3 posts.  +, -, & the middle one is?

Middle is a thermistor in NiCd/NiMH batteries. In li-ion, it's some sort of signal pin, I haven't looked at it but I assume it's either a serial bus or an open collector output that tells the charger if the battery is hot/cold/full/empty/unbalanced/shorted/overdischarged.

I have taken apart 20 or so of these packs over the following  dated periods. Late 2007 through mid to late 2010 have A123 packs. It looks like the latter part of 2010.... the change was made to Sony Iron Phosphate. I have opened packs up as late as September 2010 that still have A-123 packs. A fair assumption based on my findings would be, anything 2010-40 or earlier would be a safe bet to find A-123 cells.

Looks like the last 10 months have been switched to Sony. Again, these are just my assumptions based on what I've taken apart.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So there are 12 cells in the battery pack?  (12 x SE US18650FT)

With two serially-connected packs of 6 cells connected together in parallel, doesn't that mean its 2.2Ah?

The UK version DE9180 is listed at 2.0Ah

http://service.dewalt.co.uk/Products/PartDetail.aspx?PartID=81075&BOMRegionID=1

and the smaller UK version DE9181 is listed at 1.1Ah

http://service.dewalt.co.uk/Products/PartDetail.aspx?PartID=90218&BOMRegionID=1

Why by accurate with the 1.1 and not with the 2.0 (2.2)?

Confusing

• 7 years later...