DEWALT'S NEW DCD760 Li-Ion COMPACT DRILL REVIEW - FINE WOOD WORKING MAGAZINE.

kanxrus

DEWALT'S NEW DCD760 Li-Ion COMPACT DRILL REVIEW - FINE WOOD WORKING MAGAZINE.

THIS IS A NEW COMPACT REVIEW DONE BY FINE WOODWORKING MAGAZINE. ALTHOUGH THERE WERE NO ACTUAL TESTING RESULTS REVILED, I WILL POST SOME OF THERE STAT'S.

OUT OF 8 COMPACT DRILLS TESTED THE DCD760 PLACED AS FOLLOWS.

PRICE - 8TH PLACE

WEIGHT - 4TH PLACE

LENGTH - TIED FOR 4TH PLACE

CHARGE TIME - 5TH PLACE

TORQUE - 2ND PLACE

BATTERY LIFE - GOOD

COMFORT - VERY GOOD  

HERE IS THE FULL REVIEW FINE WOOD WORKING MAGAZINE

VIDEO PRESENTATION

• 4 months later...

JC have you tested the DCD760 against the Makita BDF452HW?  I would be curious to your conclusion and testing.  How many holes and your torque test.  I found the Makita to be of a lower build quality but offered (supposedly) better torque longer runtime, it is lighter, and a quicker charge.  However the Dewalt chuck is far better, handle is better, versatility with old 18v NiCad batt a nice plus, and it is build far far better...more contractor quality than DIY.  Let me know what you think.

Too bad DeWalt skimmed on the battery..maybe even the motor the 4-pole is a nice motor in the Makita.  Seems like that is the difference in run time and torque.  But then again to be more weight friendly I assume they took a few cells out to lighten it up to fit its class better 1.1 vs 1.5Ah.  I love it for its build quality, Handle, chuck, speed but I need the power and run time more.  Might be heading back to HD  ???.  But one thing that does bug me is the retail in the Dewalt...219!  It is the highest priced 18v compact out.  If it was the winner in all categories I could understand the cost better...even the warranty isnt any better. 

Well if Runtime and Torque are your two main concerns then maybe you should head back to Home Depot. Before you do, maybe consider this.

Dewalt uses a higher quality plastic in their clamshell (xenoy) than Makita (ABS) but you won't appreciate that until you drop it from a high spot.

Dewalt uses larger brushes than Makita, but you won't appreciate that until your brushes give out in the middle of a project.

Dewalt uses a higher grade magnet ( Nedymium-Iron-Boride) which allows Dewalt motors to kick out more power at higher RPM's, but you won't appreciate it until your doing  long repetitive work.

Dewalt uses copper heat sinks on their switches and not aluminum, but won't appreciate that until your switch burns out.

Dewalt has never changed their 18v battery platform since 1996, hop over to Makita's website and see how many 18v batteries they have, and how many of them are compatible with each other? You might not appreciate that until the next best battery comes along.

Dewalt's 18v batteries are all interchangeable with one another which opens up a line of 40+ tools, Makita's compact 18v battery only allows you to use 5 of their cordless tools. (last time I checked.. Oh wait you can now get a 18v dust buster. 6 tools) You might not appreciate that until you want to grow your cordless line only to find you need another 18v battery.

Dewalt uses better Sony cells in their batteries than Makita. They get 2x+ the cycle life over Makita's. Lower voltage cells and a lower Ah are the downside. You might not appreciate it until you have to replace your batteries.

I don't know what your tasks are, but the difference in Torque is minimal. You'd burn either one of these tools up if you pushed them to their limit everyday?

So why are you paying $20 more for Yellow? (everyday price) I think I summed it up. If you paid $169 for the Dewalt, then I'd say you got the better deal. (based off your first post)

Without a doubt the DeWalt is far far better constructed but then again that might explain the extra weight as well.  Fit and finish is second to none.  I really like it.  Why they didnt go with a 4 pole motor I have no idea in addition to a better Ah battery.  But I do love the feel of the handle, the plastic is far more sturdy, the chuck...need I say more is night and day better but the biggest thing I notice is speed.  The DeWalt is 200 RPM faster....you wouldnt think that is that big of a deal until you start drilling holes...it goes faster!!  For me the biggest issue I always have with Drills and I think most would agree is the batteries.  They tend to wear out before the drill burns up (In my case)...I have had a panasonic many years ago, small and mighty in its day but the batteries went and to replace them was near the cost of a new more modern and powerful drill.  So My opinion is these drills almost become more disposable considering the quick shift in technology and improving battery and motor design.  You follow me?  But to get back to the Makita/DeWalt points the makita is (with no deal) 40-50 bucks less.  Warranties are the same and by the time the batteries go I will more or less get a completely new drill...and it will certainly be more powerful, lighter, faster, etc.  As for now the makita stands the more powerful, better battery life, and lighter option. 

Archived